The 'red quill' in CO

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Flykuni

The 'red quill' in CO

Post by Flykuni » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Am heading to CO on Saturday for a cane conclave, and some fishng. My box of soft ones is filled, from tiny flymphs to shaggy Drake things. Thanks for the help, gents. Some ties are traditional, some are what they appear to be, hackles and hairs lashed forth. But they are buggy, and I have a good feeling that when I toss them they will bring a fish.

Now, my connections tell me the Drakes are waning, and that's okay. They say the Red Quill will be the pattern -- suggestions please. I have three patterns in my box that will suit: thread-bodied, sparsely-dubbed and very-sparsely-dubbed. With various hackles.

Is there a traditional tie I might do over the next 72 hours?
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.
narcodog

Re: The 'red quill' in CO

Post by narcodog » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:58 pm

Have a light colored pmd type flymph as the Spruce Moths are about to take flight
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:53 pm

I wouldn't go anywhere in the Rockies without some 14 and 16 softhackles with woodduck fiber tails, pheasant tail body with copper wire rib, and a softhackle of quail or grouse coverts (IOW plain and simple). Hope I gotcha in time.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Flykuni

Post by Flykuni » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:45 pm

You have, sir. I have 48 hours to tie. Packing is done, almost -- cane rods are last to be packed, strong tubes and carpet tubes, duct tape for all. Peace of mind for me.

Re your suggestion, I have such patterns in box, and will use. Thanks. Hope Fork treats you well this summer. Say hey to Nelson should you spy him. And Whitefish.
Soft hackles, silk lines, bamboo rods, were our forefathers handicapped? I don't believe so. I fish with few modern things, tippet and leader, hydrophobic powder, a car to get me there.