Flouro Tippets for Flymphs?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Randyflycaster

Flouro Tippets for Flymphs?

Post by Randyflycaster » Wed May 28, 2014 8:27 am

Just curious: what do you folks think of using a 12" inch or so flouro tippet for fishing flymphs? Or should I just stay with mono?

Thanks,
Randy
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Flouro Tippets for Flymphs?

Post by letumgo » Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 am

I generally use fluorocarbon tippet. I've used mono, but I am a firm believer in the invisibility of fluorocarbon tippet.

A few things to consider:
Mono has a lower density than fluorocarbon tippet. If you are intending to fish at the surface, mono may be a better choice. If you want to fish a fly a little lower in the water column, fluoro would be a better choice.
Fluorocarbon has a refractive index which is close to that of water (thus harder to see when submerged).
Mono seems to have a bit more stretch than fluorcarbon tippet. This may be important if going to very light strengths. I am thinking the stretch may be a good thing, since it may allow the mono to withstand the initial fish strike a little better without breaking.
Spools of fluorocarbon tippet seem to be more prone to degradation, when left in hot car all season. A few seasons ago, I started having problems with repeated tippet breakage from an old spool of fluorocarbon. I realized the spool had sat in the car all summer long (high temps), and had probably degraded. I bought a new spool of the tippet material (same size) and the breakage issue went away.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 am

I'm with Ray. I used mono for years, but fishing a season with flouro made a believer our of me, for all the reasons that he said.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed May 28, 2014 12:20 pm

I will be following this thread with interest, as I am taking the plunge on fluoro (at least for my nymphing set-up) this year. I have a 9 foot, fluorocarbon leader tapered to 2X. I plan to get spools of 3X and 4X fluoro, and use that to fashion a two-fly nymphing rig.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed May 28, 2014 12:47 pm

In addition to the advantages that Ray mentioned, flouro is also more abrasion resistant than mono. As for degradation, I think it's exposure to sunlight that causes the problem.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed May 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes, Ray has it nailed with "why fluro" and covers most the reasons I carry fluro tippet material with me on the water.
However- just because a spool has flurocarbon written on it somewhere does not mean it is the end all and be all. Some of it is just crap (you can find the same with mono as well). Usually it is governed by price- you gets whats you pay for.
Buy good quality name brands of either and all should be good. I was gifted some "Trout Hunter" tippet material from a visiting fisher this season- it is good stuff and may lead to me stepping away from my regular Rio brand.

Prices do not really equate here, you guys seem to get much better deals and choice that what we get over here. Tippet spools can be close to $20 per spool for good fluro, but always above $10, so I get picky where it gets used.
It is a great workhorse for sub surface (for all the above reasons), but can get frustrating in very small sizes and I find mono easier to knot in small sizes- plus more forgiving in "take & strike" instances where I tend to be a bit ham fisted. I also prefer mono for surface fishing (dries :shock: ) or when you want to treat the last few inches of tippet with floatant.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed May 28, 2014 7:54 pm

As a wetfly leader for trout, I use a 7 foot, high-stretch tapered mono butt (tapering to 7 or 8lb test), nail-knotted to the flyline, with a #2 (tiny) rigging ring tied to the tippet end. I attach up to a 3 foot fluoro tippet to the ring, or if I want to go longer & finer, 2 sections of fluoro, stepping down. If I want the whole thing to sink a bit faster, I dress the leader with Gherkes Sink, or deeper still, a bit of sink putty or a split shot. I've found that having a stretchy mono butt behind the fluoro tippet makes a difference if you plan on encountering bigger trout where you fish.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed May 28, 2014 8:17 pm

I start with a mono leader, then add fluoro or mono depending on water clarity.
Randyflycaster

Post by Randyflycaster » Thu May 29, 2014 7:20 am

Folks,
Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
Randy
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri May 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Randy, I think you've been given good advice, and none of it too heavy handed. I have fished both for several seasons and can't claim to a difference with either. The attributes I can't argue with, but the results I can only comment that I like using flouro for the last length of the tippet, but as often I use mono. For my poor catch rate I can find a number of excuses, but I would not blame my tippet material. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com