doing an effective line mend

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: doing an effective line mend

Postby William Anderson » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Smuggler wrote: I recall seeing this hat in your basement William.

:oops:
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Postby Tom Smithwick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:02 am

Fishing tip on mends. A very counter intuitive, but sometimes effective technique is to use a downstream mend. Of course, this causes the fly to drag immediately, but swim directly across the river below your position. This shows a broadside view of the fly to fish lying upstream, which can be effective with streamers in particular. Also effective when fishing an Isonichia hatch, when swimming the nymph in an emergence.
It is also worth an occasional try if things are slow with dead drifted wet flies. I guess the fish take them for micro minnows.
Tom Smithwick

Re: Silver Flies and Golden Needles

Postby swellcat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:15 am

I guess the fish take them for micro minnows.

That's a very interesting speculation, one I'd hoped to get at in revisiting the "Silver Flies" thread.
---
swellcat

Postby redietz » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Tom Smithwick wrote: Of course, this causes the fly to drag immediately, but swim directly across the river below your position.

Not if there's a back eddy on your side. You sometimes have to mend downstream to maintain a dead drift.

But, yes, speeding up the "swing" is sometimes effective as well. You mention iso's but I've also found it true when there are little black stones on the water. Sometimes trout just want to chase something and kill it.
Bob
redietz

Previous

Return to Fishing Wingless Wets