Delightful Book

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Delightful Book

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:57 am

Just finished my first time through a delightful little book entitled Upper Columbia Flyfisher written by Forum member Steve Bird (UC Steve), and it won't be last time either. True, the book is about fly fishing and even fly fishing using soft hackled wet flies, but it is much more than that. It is also a guide book, a repository of wit, a summary of geophysical history for a secluded section of one of America's greatest rivers, a plea for environmental ethics on the part of Big Business, and a love story about a man and his affair with a largely unknown trout stream.

It is available in limited quantities from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Upper-Columbia-F ... 1571884483) and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in reading about fly fishing more as a life style than just tying techniques or a library of patterns (although there are some of those too).
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
zen leecher

Re: Delightful Book

Post by zen leecher » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:18 pm

I bought a copy at the Ellensburg tying expo last year. Good book.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for the recommendation Bill. I just ordered a copy from Amazon. Can't wait to get it!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 am

Bill,
I will list it as a must have book. Christmas is coming soon! Anything from Stevens den has to be good!
Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:27 am

Great! I'll have to pick a copy up. Thanks Bill.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:26 pm

Bill - The book was waiting for me when I got home this afternoon. You're right. This is a delightful book. I can tell already that I am going to enjoy reading the book, and fishing the patterns shown in the back of the book. Once I get a chance, I plan to tie up some of the flies.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Kudos Steve! Very well done. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean