Blog Article on Casting the Tenkara

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

skunkaroo

Blog Article on Casting the Tenkara

Post by skunkaroo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:23 pm

I don't know if this would be of interest to many here, but I know a few of you use the Tenkara and I thought you might like to read of my adventures in choosing a line for my rod:

Fishing From Heaven

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
narcodog

Re: Blog Article on Casting the Tenkara

Post by narcodog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:09 am

Interesting article. I used my 13ft out west with the furled line and found it difficult to cast in wind using a 6x tippet. When I went to a 5x it worked much better. The problem I had over all was with hook set. I lost several 15 -17 in Cutts because of that, small trout were no problem.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 pm

narcodog wrote:Interesting article. I used my 13ft out west with the furled line and found it difficult to cast in wind using a 6x tippet. When I went to a 5x it worked much better. The problem I had over all was with hook set. I lost several 15 -17 in Cutts because of that, small trout were no problem.
I can't say I've noticed a huge issue with hook-set on any of the lines I've played with except for those situations when I've been asleep at the switch and allowed excess slack to creep into the line or tippet. My largest fish on the rod have fallen into that size range (mostly on deeply presented flies), and I've found the method Mike recommends (the short wrist flick) accompanied by constant pressure afterwards has been sufficient. One thing that I have been doing a little differently is to strike and play my fish with the rod parallel to the water whenever possible (think side pressure) as opposed to the traditional upward stroke. For whatever reason (physics was never my strong suit) it seems to allow the fish less leverage when hooked, but whether or not it contributes to a better hook-set I can't say.

I might ask the question of when are you losing them? On the strike, a fraction of a second later, or at some point later in the fight?

Aaron
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:06 pm

skunkaroo wrote:
narcodog wrote:Interesting article. I used my 13ft out west with the furled line and found it difficult to cast in wind using a 6x tippet. When I went to a 5x it worked much better. The problem I had over all was with hook set. I lost several 15 -17 in Cutts because of that, small trout were no problem.
I can't say I've noticed a huge issue with hook-set on any of the lines I've played with except for those situations when I've been asleep at the switch and allowed excess slack to creep into the line or tippet. My largest fish on the rod have fallen into that size range (mostly on deeply presented flies), and I've found the method Mike recommends (the short wrist flick) accompanied by constant pressure afterwards has been sufficient. One thing that I have been doing a little differently is to strike and play my fish with the rod parallel to the water whenever possible (think side pressure) as opposed to the traditional upward stroke. For whatever reason (physics was never my strong suit) it seems to allow the fish less leverage when hooked, but whether or not it contributes to a better hook-set I can't say.

I might ask the question of when are you losing them? On the strike, a fraction of a second later, or at some point later in the fight?

Aaron
I lost the largest a few moments after the hook set. Thought they were on then they were off. I also use a flick of the wrist and that worked fine on the smaller fish. As o playing them I also use side pressure once they are hooked. In fact I did hook and land a very nice Bow in some very strong water without a problem. Where I lost the Cutts was in slower and smoother water. I was able see the fish rise and take the fly, a dry, very softly then head back down. It made a run and bye bye. That happened on several occasions. Now that I am home I'll practice more with the rod and figure out the nuances of it.
I fished Boo rods the rest of the time so it was a very satisfying trip.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:38 pm

narcodog wrote:I lost the largest a few moments after the hook set. Thought they were on then they were off. I also use a flick of the wrist and that worked fine on the smaller fish. As o playing them I also use side pressure once they are hooked. In fact I did hook and land a very nice Bow in some very strong water without a problem. Where I lost the Cutts was in slower and smoother water. I was able see the fish rise and take the fly, a dry, very softly then head back down. It made a run and bye bye. That happened on several occasions. Now that I am home I'll practice more with the rod and figure out the nuances of it.
I fished Boo rods the rest of the time so it was a very satisfying trip.
I don't know if this will help any, but you might try slowing down your strike such that the actual hook-set begins after the leader is already under tension. I know this sounds counter intuitive, particularly where the fish can spit the hook in a split second, but because of the soft tip on the Tenkara allows you to increase the tension without significantly pressuring the fish you can get away with it. I often do this while czech nymphing with the rod--not always deliberately--and it seems to help at times. I could be full of prunes, but it might be worth experimenting a bit on your home waters.

Aaron
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks everyone great information. I still like the rod it's just I need to get more familiar with it. The reason I stopped using it while in Wy is tht I was after the Wy Cutt-slam, which I did accomplish.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:28 pm

narcodog wrote:Thanks everyone great information. I still like the rod it's just I need to get more familiar with it. The reason I stopped using it while in Wy is tht I was after the Wy Cutt-slam, which I did accomplish.
...and they do slam it sometimes, eh? I had some cutt-slams at those ungodly Chernobyl Ants on the Elk during the Nationals--disgusting, but fun. :D

Aaron
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:32 am

skunkaroo wrote:
narcodog wrote:Thanks everyone great information. I still like the rod it's just I need to get more familiar with it. The reason I stopped using it while in Wy is that I was after the Wy Cutt-slam, which I did accomplish.
...and they do slam it sometimes, eh? I had some cutt-slams at those ungodly Chernobyl Ants on the Elk during the Nationals--disgusting, but fun. :D

Aaron
I was fishin a small stream in SW Wy and I was broken off three times in 50 yds using 6x and an 8 ft Orvis Boo rod. That will be one of those unforgettable fishing days.
CM_Stewart

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 am

narcodog,

Congratulations on the cutt-slam.

I think Mike and skunkaroo have both given you good advice on the hookset. Although Mike's comment on having no slack in the line was mostly illustrative (you're not really going to fish with your rod pointed directly at your fly), it does hit on what I think is one of the real advantages of tenkara gear. If you don't have the wind to contend with, as you did in Wyoming; or big, wind resistant flies, you can fish with a very light line. The light line and long rod allows you to keep most or all of the line off the water, so you have minimal slack between your rod tip and the fly. You don't have to fight surface tension to tighten the line and set the hook, and with a line that's already tight it really doesn't take much to set the hook. I've had fish take dries and hook themselves as they turn and head back down (when I was looking away, so I know it wasn't even unconcious movement on my part).

skunkaroo,

You must like much heavier lines than I do. I was given a 12' section of level 2-wt silk line (I now understand why people are as passionate about silk lines as they are about bamboo rods!) but I thought it was way too heavy for a tenkara rod. If you think about it, a tenkara rod is a "nothing" weight. A rod labeled a two weight is designed to load properly with 30 feet of fly line weighing 80 grains, to which you add 9-12 feet of leader and tippet in order to fish. A tenkara rod is designed to load properly with no fly line, weighing exactly nothing, plus 12-15 feet of leader and tippet. Of course, if you fish heavy flies or have to fish into the wind, you'll need a heavier "line", but a North Country fly on a windless day will cast beautifully on an unbelievably light line. Charles Cotton would have loved it!
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:08 am

narcodog wrote:I was fishin a small stream in SW Wy and I was broken off three times in 50 yds using 6x and an 8 ft Orvis Boo rod. That will be one of those unforgettable fishing days.

It's a beautiful thing. Can't wait to get back.

Aaron