Leaders for Swing Wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: Leaders for Swing Wets

Postby WiFlyfisher » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.

I used to build my own leaders with a Maxima leader kit and I plan later this Winter to experiment again.

Side Note: I cut thin cardboard 4" x 4" and make slits in the four corners than wrapped my hand tied leaders around the 4 corners and marked on the cardboard the formula and length. I do that for each leader I make and it helps me record and keep track of the leaders and which formulas seemed to work the best. Plus, with the thin cardboard it is quick and easy for me to unwrap the leader when I want to use one.
WiFlyfisher

Postby joaniebo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:04 pm

John

I've been using Maxima Ultragreen in tying my leaders for many years ... using Oliver Kite's leader formula (or as close as I can get to it) of 20# (54"), 12# (10"), 6# (10"), 5# (10")& 4# (36").

Bob
joaniebo

Postby WiFlyfisher » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:51 am

joaniebo wrote:John

I've been using Maxima Ultragreen in tying my leaders for many years ... using Oliver Kite's leader formula (or as close as I can get to it) of 20# (54"), 12# (10"), 6# (10"), 5# (10")& 4# (36").

Bob

Thanks, Bob.
WiFlyfisher

Postby joaniebo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:09 am

John

For many years, I have been using Maxima Ultragreen when I tie my own leaders ... using Oliver Kite's leader formula (or as close as I can get to it) of 20# (54"), 12# (10"), 6# (10"), 5# (10")& 4# (36"). I usually fish only two flies at a time tying the second fly to the hook bend of the first fly. Have never tried three in a row but probably might do it this season.

Bob
joaniebo

Postby Greenwell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:29 pm

For what it's worth, the leader I tie for fishing Spiders is outlined below. I prefer Maxima Chameleon (Brown) for the larger diameters as it will straighten perfectly with a good strong pull and hold; no need for rubber leader straighteners, which, by the way, are detrimental to nylon. Trout Hunter mono is my preferred tippet material. I use mono for all my trout fishing as after extensive personal testing I find no advantage to fluorocarbon.
Notice that the butt diameter is much smaller than most leaders. This gives better energy transfer from the line to the leader and results in better turnover. The majority of the time I use 3 and 4 weight rod/line set ups and .017 works best with these line sizes. For 5 wight or above you may want to go to a .019 or .020 butt.
Feel free to modify this leader to suit your personal needs as to length, diameters, etc.

I am something of a leader fanatic and firmly believe that in most cases the leader and how it performs is at least as important as fly pattern. And in many cases is more important. If the fish are refusing my fly, especially when fishing dries (off topic!), I am much more apt to modify my leader than to change fly pattern.

Spider Leader

40" .017 M
20" .015 M
8" .013 M
8" .012 M
8" .011 M
8" .009 M
12" .008 (3X) T (Can add second Dropper (3X) at this point if desired.)
12" .007 (4X) T Add 4" - 6" 4X Dropper at this point. (4X to 5X)
18 - 24" .006 (5X) T

M = Maxima Chemeleon Brown
T= Tippet material. I prefer Trout Hunter
Measurements in inches. May be adjusted to suit water, fly size, and casting style.
Diameters are .001 Inch
Greenwell

Postby tie2fish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

I've been using John's leader formulae for three years now and very much like the way they perform.
In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
tie2fish

Postby Eric Peper » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Agree, John, on the TroutHunter mono tippet as the best I can find. I start my leaders with 12" of Maxima Chameleon nail knotted to the line, but I use a 10' TroutHunter Finesse leader as the base, tapered to 5X, and add a 4' tippet of TH 6X. But then I am fishing primarily dries size 16 and smaller to very fussy fish in flat water. and this 15-16' overall leader turns over as sweet as can be. I have also fished small soft-hackles with it very happily as well.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Eric Peper

Postby tie2fish » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm guessing Eric, that the amount of floating plant matter in the water you fish most often may play a role in your preference for fewer knots?
In ancient times, cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
tie2fish

Postby WiFlyfisher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 pm

tie2fish wrote:I'm guessing Eric, that the amount of floating plant matter in the water you fish most often may play a role in your preference for fewer knots?

Yup, and the same thing when I am out West in the Fall at Campfire Lodge.. the weeds are too thick and high in a lot of places. I avoid the HF in the Fall because Eric always tells me the weeds are a royal pain. So lately I am forced to stay up in Yellowstone country harassing NarcoBob. :lol:

Thank you Greenwell I will give it a try.

I also have 2 hand tied leaders coming from http://christopherfaveflyfishing.webs.com/apps/webstore/ so I can see how he ties wet fly dropper leaders. A couple of friends recommended I try his hand tied leaders.
WiFlyfisher

Postby Eric Peper » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:38 am

tie2fish wrote:I'm guessing Eric, that the amount of floating plant matter in the water you fish most often may play a role in your preference for fewer knots?

ABsolutely. Severity depends upon the year, but the d#mned things are always there.
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Eric Peper

PreviousNext

Return to Fishing Wingless Wets