Intro

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Intro

Post by DUBBN » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:55 pm

Hi all. I am from Western Colorado and just now found this forum dedicated to flymphs. I didnt see a category for introductions, so I thought I would use this one to say hi. I have been using flymphs and Soft hackles for many years here on some of Colorados premier trout streams. If I was asked to pick one fly to use here in the Centenial state it would be a Grey Flymph called a "Muskrat". It has been my go to fly for over 20 years.
I have had many spectacular days on the Gunnison, Colorado, Frying Pan, and Roaring Fork rivers with this fly and some others tied like it, but in different colors.
Heres a few of the fish I have been fortunate to catch on these time tested patterns (flymphs).
This one is a Grayling
I am very fortunate to live where I do, but I am even luckyer to have found the virtues of the Flymph, many years ago.
I wish i had become a member of this forum a few weeks sooner. I would have enjoyed getting into the flymph swap.
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Intro

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:12 am

Dubbn,

I think we've run into each other on other forums. Like Mike said, nice flies and nice fish. Welcome aboard.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:57 am

Welcome. nice flies and those trouts are spectacular. I would love to add a Grayling to score card. By the way I am the king of the Whitefish.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:43 am

Great introduction. You will fit in well. Welcome aboard. I look forward to your participation in the future.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Welcome and thanks for posting the pictures, I love muskrat for body material, makes for a nice buggy look. What is the materials for the second fly with the golden body?
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:31 pm

This is an official WELCOME. Great photos and top notch fish. It looks as if you are in the groove with wingless wets.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome folks. I hope I can contribute down the line.

REE, yes we have met on another board. It's probable that we have participated in the same swaps.

Silver-Doctor, the dubbing I used for the 2nd fly is a Hareline product. Carrot color, rabbit, antron mix. It's been in my dubbing dispenser so long I forgot the catalog number. It's a fly I use when the October Caddis start to appear on the Gunnison river. I also use it with success as a scud imitation.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:35 pm

DUBBN wrote:...the dubbing I used for the 2nd fly is a Hareline product. Carrot color, rabbit, antron mix. It's been in my dubbing dispenser so long I forgot the catalog number. It's a fly I use when the October Caddis start to appear on the Gunnison river.
Now that tip alone was worth the price of admission. Welcome aboard Dubbn'. You swinging deep to get the whitefish on the flymph?

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 pm

"Now that tip alone was worth the price of admission. Welcome aboard Dubbn'. You swinging deep to get the whitefish on the flymph?"

Fot Whitefish I dead drift with split shot and Flymphs. I havent had alot of luck on Whiteys on the swing.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Sorry Dubbn, swing was just an expression. I meant were you fishing deep for the whitefish? I've sometimes taken them in the top third of the water column with a soft hackle, but mostly deep with nymphs and the like. Just wanted to know if your experience was different.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)