Still here (lurking)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Still here (lurking)

Post by chase creek » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Thought I'd better check in. Been a while. Haven't been tying as much lately, other things going on.
We moved over Christmas weekend, and I managed to take a tumble down some stairs, but didn't break anything in the box I was carrying. Did crack a couple of ribs, and really aggravated old "Arthur" in my left knee, so have been using a cane latel. Missed opening weekend in Michigan, and probably the rest of them. My balance is pretty bad, so think I'm done wading and annoying the Brookies. Delegated to Bluegills locally from the bank.
I do, however, take a look at the site at least once a day to keep up with you guys, and that keeps me entertained to no end.
Still tying, as I said, but not as much. Hopefully, that will change as soon as I get this other stuff straightened out.
Take care, you guys. ;) :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
hankaye

Re: Still here (lurking)

Post by hankaye » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 pm

chase creek, Howdy;

Happy to see you check-in, sorry to hear you took a tumble, ribs are aggravating when
cracked or broken. Almost seems like they wouldn't be as bothersome if we just didn't
need to keep breathing the whole time they take to mend. :roll: .
Hope you mend and can get back in the water next year. Plenty of time to work on
strengthening it enough for you to wade when you feel you'd want to.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:33 am

Rodger ~
Really sorry to learn about your restrictive injuries. Not being able to wade fish, especially in places where the wild trout live, is a major setback. Hopefully you'll make a miraculous comeback and be able to get out again on your special Michigan streams.

Bill
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:27 am

Hey Rodger. It's great to hear from you and I too hope you're back where you want to be soon. If you get a chance to post some of your tying I know I not alone in wanting to see more. I fished one of your flies earlier this year. I have a cluster of them that I carry. Perfect little caddis imitations. Looking forward to hearing from you again. Cheers.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm

" My balance is pretty bad, so think I'm done wading and annoying the Brookies."

I also broke a rib slipping on ice a few years ago and my formerly great sense of balance was going down hill. I didn't wade for over a year. I then started taking Tai Chi classes for health and balance about 2 years ago and I am back in wading form, although not like years ago. ;) Good enough to be a fish hunter again!

Results from some work done on balance here in Oregon...
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/tai- ... 1305036150
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear about this. I'm not far behind you -- I missed several months of fishing (and work) last year because of a fall.

I will note, however, that a wading staff functions quite adequately as a cane.
Bob
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Rodger,

Sorry to hear about your fall and injuries. I hope you are able to fully heal, so you can get out fishing again. I know how much you love chasing those brook trout. Please post some flies the next time you are playing around at the vice. Hopefully you can join our next swap. (hint hint ;) :D ).

I've been using a wading staff for a few years now. My staff has saved me a few times. They are also very easy to make. Time well spent.

Bob,

Have you recovered from your fall? Are you able to get out this season?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 pm

letumgo wrote: Bob,

Have you recovered from your fall? Are you able to get out this season?
Yeah, more or less recovered. I did a face plant while fishing in December '15 -- while taking a lunch break, so of course I didn't have my wading staff in hand. Broke a bone in my wrist, and wrenched my back. By February, the back was so bad that I could no longer sit in a chair, or drive, and couldn't even lie down unless it was flat on my back. I had surgery in March; two disks repaired (doctors were sure it was caused by the fall.) I fishing again by the end of April as if nothing had happened.

I retired at the end of March, so I've been fishing a lot this season. The back is starting to speak to me again (along with our Arthur in both knees) but nowhere nearly as bad as last year.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I do want stress that wading staffs should be an important part of the kit of every "experienced" angler.
Bob
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 am

Bob, sorry to hear of your "face plant". Hope everything is ok by now.
I can honestly say I have never taken a spill while wading. Some very close calls; but no falls. Have never used a wading staff, but they are looking better and better. As I get older, I find my sense of balance seems to have taken a serious hit. Even having a hard time walking on uneven ground, like a lawn. So much for flitting gracefully through the woods, and those 20 mile hikes with my Scouts. Finding that getting old is not for the meek. You gotta be tough. ;) :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:12 am

Bob - Ouch! That must have been a really bad fall. You're a tough guy, to bounce back so quickly after your back surgery. Congrats on the retirement.

Rodger - I remember your scouting trips, and your trips seeking brook trout. You've always been an adventurer.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean