Soft Hackle Patterns for Madison & Firehole

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Re: Soft Hackle Patterns for Madison & Firehole

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:54 am

I appreciate the many replies with pattern suggestions, pictures, and even tying videos. I made a short list of some material to buy (Improved Sparkle Dubbing - Polar Bear, Pearl Ice Dub, AZ Synthetic Peacock - Golden Olive, and Nature's Siprit Emergence Dubbing - Cream). I also like the look of those up eye hooks!

Since I will not be driving to PA to visit the Flyfishing Museum in Carlisle and to fish Brodhead Creek in Analomink, I will have more time to tie some of these patterns for the Madison and Firehole.

Thanks again- Ken
ssj

Post by ssj » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:56 pm

I know it's a bit late for your post but here is one of my go-to patterns for the Firehole. It is my interpretation of a fly called a Peacock Spider found in W.s.roger Fogg's book "The Art of the Wet Fly." Fogg uses a black hackle; I will use a dun hackle whenever I can get away with it. I normally fish the last week in September and have done so almost every year since 1989. Size 14 hook.
P8280055 copy.jpg
P8280055 copy.jpg (230.39 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:20 pm

Dear SSJ,
I like the pattern above that you have shown! Something in this Stewart-esque pattern reaches out to me! I love the shape and the attention to detail in the selection and application of the hackle! Wonderful!
Guys, the other patterns posted here are really special too! This is a wonderful thread loaded with lots of great patterns!
With "visions of soft-hackles dancing in my head",
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:35 am

Well, that's an intriguing pattern! I agree with Doug's reference to the Stewart DNA that runs through it. It reminds me of all the girls from the 80's; classic beauty, but with big hair.
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:59 am

ssj,

Is your fly made of a dun hackle wound over a short peacock herl body?

Thanks- Ken
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:26 am

ssj- I’m interested in the recipe as well. Hoping to add some to my fly box this winter.

Welcome aboard the forum.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ssj

Post by ssj » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:17 am

Hi, all. I just lost about 45 minutes trying to explain how I tie this fly. Somehow, I lost the post. I will make another attempt once I get over this aggravation. :lol:
Stephen
ssj

Post by ssj » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:48 am

Hi all. In short, the ingredients are dun hen hackle, peacock, black thread, hook. I tie in the hackle first (by the butt end, leaving room for the head) with the concave side of the feather to the rear, then tie in 3-5 strands of the peacock behind the hackle with the tips pointing forward, wrap the thread (over the peacock butts) to the 1/2 to 2/3 point on the hook shank, trim the butts at the tie off point, wrap the peacock back to the 1/2 to 2/3 point on the shank, tie off, palmer the hackle back to the tie off point, tie the hackle off, run the thread forward through the peacock and hackle to the head, form a neat head. The only difference between the Peacock spider and the way I tie the Stuart's spider is the inclusion of the peacock. On the Stuart's spider, I don't wrap the hackle around the tying thread (too untidy).
Stephen
This is a much shorter version than the version I lost. I have left out most of the nuances. Please let me know if you need clarification on any of this. It's a really simple tie. The key is to tie on the hackle by the butt end and to wrap it toward the rear, tie it off, and then to wrap the thread forward to the head.
Last edited by ssj on Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks Stephan, for sharing the details of your fly pattern. Very helpful & appreciated. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Stephen,
I agree with Ray above! Seems pretty simple to tie and the end results look fantastic! I like the inclusion of the peacock herl. Every pattern seems to hunt better when you add peacock!
I know what you mean about losing a lengthy and involved thread! I have done it several times myself. It is not forum problem, not at all! It is my piece of crap laptop that, for some unknown reason, wants to dump what I have written up to that point! There is a button somewhere on the keyboard that I mistakenly hit and away it all goes! Frustrating! Again, it is operator error purely on my part! I should have asked Santa for a new machine for Christmas!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.