Three days on the White River

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Three days on the White River

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:41 pm

redietz wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:58 pm I can't see why one would want to cull browns to favor rainbows in the Rockies, though. Neither are native, and at least the browns don't hybridize with the cutts.
You are entitled to your opinion.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:15 pm

I don't think we're disagreeing. (Other than I like browns and you like rainbows, and de gustibus non est disputandum.)
Bob
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 pm

DUBBN wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:12 pm It is the Hofer strain of Rainbows that were brought back to Colorado from Germany. The Germans received the Rainbows at the turn of the century from wild fish from the Gunnison River.

The German fish have been exposed to Whirling disease all those many years and built up an immunity.

The first Hofer strain and crosses were released back in to the Gunnison River where they have done well for close to 20 years.

Now, the CPW is trying to introduce Hofer crosses in all Colorado drainages.

As a side note, most wild Rainbow trout in Colorado can trace their lineage to the Kamloop Rainbows of British Columbia.

The Whitefish populations are taking a dive. In the entire state. Whitefish are just as seciptable to Whirling Disease as are Rainbows and Native Cutthroats.

The sad part is catching and keeping the Whitefish may not have an impact on their decline. Whirling Disease can decimate populations in just one generation.

I do not keep the Mountain Whitefish anymore. A species in decline is sad. Especially when there is not much that can be done about it.

I am surprised the Browns have not taken over the niche in the ecosystem that the Rainbows vacated. They certainly have on the Gunnison in the canyon and the gorge. Even with the Hofer strain fish, the Browns are king. I wish a bounty was placed on them.

There is whirling disease info and how it relates to the Whitefish on one of the links I posted earlier on this thread. I suggest people read it throughly before judging the Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the limits they set on native and non-native fish that reside in the Whiteriver.
Thanks for clearing that up Dubbn. I had no idea that whitefish also were / are victims of whirling disease. I haven't had time yet to read the link that you posted, but I have the time now, so I'll go back and read it.
I agree that any specie in decline is a sad thing to happen, and I wish as a race of humans we could do something to save them.

I also have to agree with redietz that I too prefer the browns over the rainbow for a few personal reasons. They don't stink like rainbows do. I know that because when I catch browns, my wife can't smell them on my hands. But rainbows she can smell and I have to hear about it. Also, if I keep a fish or two to eat, I prefer browns over rainbows any day.