*&%#* fly line !!!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

narcodog

Re: *&%#* fly line !!!

Post by narcodog » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I don't recall any of my modern lines stinking. I would suggest you wash your line more often and dress it if necessary.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm

bearmountain, I have also noticed this problem of a sinking tip on a floating line, especially when cast downstream. Cleaning the line and treating with a line dressing offers a temporary cure. However, there is one floating line I have that does not sink - it is an Airflo Super-Dri River and Stream. Their lines are made with polyurethane, not PVC.
Boarmountain

Post by Boarmountain » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:54 pm

I have cleaned the lines multiple times. Different leader connections, ect. Just seems after an hour or so fishing, the first few feet won't float anymore.

Now, I'm not a neophyte. I have been fly fishing for over 45 years ! I know to keep the lines clean, ect;
It just seems that the lines around now aren't what they used to be.......

redsedge wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm bearmountain, I have also noticed this problem of a sinking tip on a floating line, especially when cast downstream. Cleaning the line and treating with a line dressing offers a temporary cure. However, there is one floating line I have that does not sink - it is an Airflo Super-Dri River and Stream. Their lines are made with polyurethane, not PVC.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give one a try.
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Boarmountain wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:18 pm What is everyone's opinion on a floating fly line where the tip won't sink after an hour of fishing.....
FWIW, I do NOT want my floating line tip to sink, ever...
Soft and wet - the only way....
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:09 pm

redsedge wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm bearmountain, I have also noticed this problem of a sinking tip on a floating line, especially when cast downstream. Cleaning the line and treating with a line dressing offers a temporary cure. However, there is one floating line I have that does not sink - it is an Airflo Super-Dri River and Stream. Their lines are made with polyurethane, not PVC.
I second Airflo lines. I fish with Airflo Elite, Exceed and River & Stream and have no issues with the line sinking.

I have noticed it with Orvis and Rio lines in the past, but not have yet noticed it with S.A. lines. But so far, and for the few years I have fished with Airflo, I have had no issues.

But with the newer lines from Orvis and Rio, I can't speak of if they are known to sink.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:43 am

I fish RIO and SA lines in the main. Don’t have issues with the tips sinking. But I do clean all my lines ( floating or sinking) a coupla times a season at least depending on usage