LaFontaine's "bubble" & Hidy's "Hydrofuge"

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: LaFontaine's "bubble" & Hidy's "Hydrofuge"

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:37 am

Mark - interesting topic and picture. You're right it does look a bit like a boatman but there are features that make me believe that it is a caddis fly as stated. The wings on top are the correct length for an pair of emerging wings and do not extend to the end of the abdomen, a feature which can be seen in the photo. Also, it appears the end of the abdomen has the anal claw attached. The legs are long and thin not bulging on the ends like a boatman and I believe if you look close you can see the long outline of the antennae close along the sides of the insect. I do question the "bubbles" though as the angle of the photo isn't clear to me if I am seeing bubbles or just light refraction from the wing and shell. I like the idea of the caddis grasping onto air bubbles from the surface of the rocks and holding them between their legs as flotation devises. I would love to see this.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Old Hat wrote: I do question the "bubbles" though as the angle of the photo isn't clear to me if I am seeing bubbles or just light refraction from the wing and shell.
Does it make a difference as far as fly design whether it's shimmering or just appears to be shimmering?
Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Yes, I think so. A "bubble" would require a different profile than just a shimmering insect.

This is a caddis pattern I have tied for a number of years. It has a "shimmering" translucence but a completely different profile than Lafontane's caddis pupa.

However, I have no idea if the fish would react differently to each fly. But I do believe that the shimmer is important as this fly I think out fishes my other caddis soft hackles without the effect....bubble...? It's the mimicry Hidy would say. There's a trigger there somewhere, but what, is the mystery.

I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com