Washing or Cleaning Feathers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Washing or Cleaning Feathers

Post by paparex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I received a fresh Rock Ptarmigan http://www.birdpost.com/taxonomies/1009-rock_ptarmigan skin from a friend who likes to hunt well above the tree line. I am drying the skin in Borax and it is going well. My question is: How many of you then wash the feathers or do you just use them au natural? I have been tying the soft-hackles directly from the skin with no additional preparation. Pros and cons on shampoo/detergent/soap treatment from a fishing stand point? The skin will go into the freezer tonight for a week and then air dried in a paper sack for another week or so before I think it has eliminated the little critters the birds might have been carrying. I sure wish I had the feathers from the legs... Maybe a future skin.

[img]http://birdpost_images.s3.amazonaws.com/Lagopus_muta/1157.JPG[/img]
paparex

Re: Washing or Cleaning Feathers

Post by paparex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Another skin on its way

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Personal preference, but I do not wash any feathered skins I get, wild harvest or sent to me. The freeze and borax should serve you well. Pluck the feather you intend to use and use it au natural as you say.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm

I ALWAYS wash feathers, fur.. wild or farm raised. It's good to do for obvious reasons and to get the excess grease out from the skins. Using hair conditioner on feathers makes the stems very pliable. Just don't use anything with some kind of wild scent lol. After washing and drying I'll rub some borax into the skin and let it air dry for however much time needed.. two days should be plenty.

I firmly believe in washing everything you buy/harvest, there's no reason not to.
paparex

Post by paparex » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:10 pm

The natural oils certainly make soft hackles stick together and getting the perfect fiber separation difficult. Anyone sold on the gamey oil is a fish attractor? Did the 18th C tiers wash the game bird feathers? Donald?
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:29 am

Howdy All;

Thought Mike C. had posted one of his highly detailed posts about this subject some time ago.
Dang, it's been awhile since he left...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:07 pm

I have Mike's dissertation on treating skins (pdf). Drop me a PM with an email address, and I'll send it to you.

Kirk
ashley

Post by ashley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:45 pm

These days I make the 2nd part of skin preservation the cleaning of the skin. The first having been the skinning of the beast.
I find that the skin as much less fat in the skin itself thus making for a nicer quality skin when I finish. I preserve my skins along the same methods as written in From field to Fly'. I also always use borax because, apparently bugs don't like it.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm

OK, I just had the delightful task of washing a down filled duvet....... don't ask...... but found and used a product called "Down Wash" specifically designed for feather filled garments and will not harm the feathers in any way, but cleans VERY well.
Ordinary laundry detergents matt the down and you end up with said garment clean, but with matted lumps of down instead of free loft. So, maybe this product has an application in feather/skin cleaning?
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
tjd

Post by tjd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:55 pm

I just finished cleaning some wood duck flank and white breast feathers a few minutes ago. Cleaning them is well worth the time and effort, in my opinion. I rinse them in cool water to get them damp, and separate any bloody feathers
or foreign matter. I then add some warmer water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Swish them around for a few minutes and drain into a collander. Make sure you place something like a dish rag in the drain so none of the feathers escape through the holes in the collander when you rinse them (cool water, again). You may need to repeat the process if the feathers were dirty or bloody.
When thoroughly rinsed, place on paper towels to dry. When you pull them from the collander they will look like a sodden mess! Don't worry, after you spread them out on paper towels they will fluff back up. Work them with your fingers to separate all of the feathers. It will take them some time to dry thoroughly. Changing the paper towels once they get damp will speed up the drying process.
When they are thoroughly dry I place them in plastic bags, with a couple of moth balls or flea collar sections. Sometimes I strip the basal fluff before I store them, sometimes not. It depends on how badly I want to sort them by size and tying application.
The same technique works well for pelts or full bird skins, too. If doing bird skins or mammals I generally add borax after the fur or feathers have dried.
I hope this is useful.
Best,

Tim