Yorkshire Trout Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Re: Yorkshire Trout Flies

Postby redietz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:01 pm

wsbailey wrote:Pritt's No. 20 is a good example where the wings and legs would have to put on separately, especially if you used the calf's hair.

Thanks. Yes, clearly.

The thread seems to have two topics going and it's getting a bit hard for me to follow.
Bob
redietz

Postby ThirdMeadow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 pm

WiFlyfisher wrote:In Mary Orvis Marbury's book "Favorite Flies and Their History" the hackles are never that long. The artist also tried to show the hackle is wrapped completely around the hook in the colored plates in Marbury's book. I do realize that her book contains only American patterns but they were influenced by fly patterns from across the ocean.
------------------
I hope to attend the Badger Show again to see you, Henry and some others. When is it next year?

John,
The Badger show is Feb. 10 (http://badgerflyfishers.com/?page_id=9). If possible, allow sufficient time for post-game beers at the local brewery.

Thaddeus Norris ("Uncle Thad") had a big influence on American wet flies. His 1864 book The American Angler's Book was very influential. It was encyclopedic and (I think) the first American book on how to tie flies. Even the great Theodore Gordon learned to tie flies from Norris' book. Norris references English authors such as Hofland, Chitty, and Ronalds extensively and presents dozens of their fly recipes for winged and wingless wet flies. He advocated hackle whose length is more in proportion to modern standards. From his book: "The fibers of the hackle, therefore, while they may reach the bottom of the hook, should never extend much, if at all, below it."

ThirdMeadow

Postby redietz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Norris was tying on larger hooks, though.
Bob
redietz

Postby ThirdMeadow » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm

redietz wrote:Norris was tying on larger hooks, though.

That's true, but Norris wrote a lengthy passage on sizing the hackle relative to the hook. From his book: "In choosing your feathers, the length of the fibres should be in proportion to the size of the hook, or rather the length of its shank."
ThirdMeadow

Postby redietz » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:33 pm

ThirdMeadow wrote:
redietz wrote:Norris was tying on larger hooks, though.

That's true, but Norris wrote a lengthy passage on sizing the hackle relative to the hook. From his book: "In choosing your feathers, the length of the fibres should be in proportion to the size of the hook, or rather the length of its shank."

Exactly my point. Since he was tying on larger hooks, the feathers end up being about the same size as on North Country wets.
Bob
redietz

Postby daringduffer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:45 am

One would think that one should choose hackle in proportion to what one would want to represent, not?

Art and craft and...what?

Just thinking out loud.

dd
daringduffer

Previous

Return to Tying Wingless Wets