Wax on, Wax Off

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Re: Wax on, Wax Off

Post by chase creek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi Lance,
What you've said makes sense.
I guess I've been operating under the assumption that the thread needed to be waxed to set the twisted silk in place after a few hours, so the brush would not unwind when there is no tension. I'll try a harder wax for this. It should accomplish the same thing without the tackiness of the softer waxes. I appreciate all the responses.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Funny, I have heard of people using toilet ring wax too. I have not tried it though. If I get desperate, I may try it. You do get a lot, for a little bit of money, that is for sure.
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 pm

"You do get a lot, for a little bit of money, that is for sure."

If you go that route, be sure to cut it up into small pieces.
Looks kinda strange sitting on the desk if you don't. :roll:
Aldo Leopold
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:27 pm

LOLLLLL. I would feel awful strange having a whole toilet bowl ring of wax sitting on my tying desk. Maybe another time I will play around with that. But at this time, I have plenty of wax, and little time...so it is on the back burner. Someone mentioned to me that you could mix the toilet bowl ring wax, with beeswax. (and maybe other things as well) That is an idea for sure. I have straight beeswax, but I've been too lazy to even use it so far. Lots of irons in the fire at this time.
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 am

Find the cheapest no name brand of toilet bowl wax and you'll find wax that is really close to Wonder wax.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for that hint, awesome!!
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 pm

You know, to be a complete heretic..... glue sticks do not work too bad either. :)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:31 am

Mataura mayfly wrote:You know, to be a complete heretic..... glue sticks do not work too bad either. :)
Jeff, I've heard that said lots of times as well, and for making a fly, no doubt the glue stick would be very effective, although I've never tried it. One thing I could worry about, and those who fish flies with Elmers or Glue Stick in them can answer this, is that I know the glue dries clear...but when you go to wash it off the table, or off your hands, or if whatever craft made with glue gets wet it turns hazy, milky white. Water makes dried glue milky. So that might actually make for an effective fly if that is your intention, but I would be curious to hear from those that have used it.

w

Rodger, how's your block. I have been thinking about your original question and I have not had any trouble wiping any wax residue off the block or the strip with my thumb, a paper towel or the inside of my sweatshirt (once :D ). Curious to hear how yours is working out.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi w -
Some interesting comments, especially about the need (or non-need) for a tacky wax. The residue thing isn't really a problem. If it builds up, I wipe it with a paper towel and it's fine. One thing mentioned that also works is waxing just one side of the thread loop (the top). I've been trying that and it works pretty well.
Love doing the bodies on the block. I have to get busy and spin some more. Think I've tied 6-7 dozen flies with spun bodies since I got the block. It's a blast playing with different dubbing materials and combinations. I think it's addictive. :shock:
Aldo Leopold
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

How many early bodies did you make that were more suited to wooly buggers than wee wet flies? I know I sure did and still do! :lol:
Less is more sure comes to the fore on a block or you loose the silk all together.

William.
Some gluestick adhesives do wash out milky white, others less so. When you say Elmers are you talking liquid craft or wood glue? Poly vinyl acetate glues will wash out milky white if uncured but should dry clear, the good ones will be waterproof when dry (if not a whole lot of bamboo rods are in trouble!)
In my limited experience with gluestick on the dubbing block is that the glue is temporary and washes out of the fly in use. The glue I used (owing to being unable to find a suitable wax here) was a non toxic water based clear paste product aimed at the school stationary market, I guess so it was easily cleaned up if smeared on clothing or desks and non-toxic for that one Ralph Wigam kind of kid that sat down the back of class and ate glue. Comes in a tube like Overtons Wonder Wax that winds up and down like a chapstick.
It works OK, not ideal and kind of messy, you do not get a lot of a chance to move the dubbing around without it becoming a gluggy mess, the glue sticks to finger tips really well and becomes tacky enough to hold the dubbing there rather than over the thread on the block if you do not use tweezers.

Good wax is better, I have just been sent some very good waxes from a very generous forum member. No need for glue here now.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.