Brahma hen cape vs Brahma hen soft hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

billc

Brahma hen cape vs Brahma hen soft hackle

Post by billc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Fellas,
Wonder if you could help. I see alot of references to Whiting brahma hen capes in you patterns and wonder if you could describe the differences between the feathers in a "Brahma hen cape" and those from the "Brahma hen soft hackle with chickabou". I'm assuming these are different feathers correct?

appreciate it
Bill
RnF

Re: Brahma hen cape vs Brahma hen soft hackle

Post by RnF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Saddle feathers are more like partridge feathers, more rounded and softer, more striations in the color pattern

LINK

Cape Feathers are more like tradition hen capes. Longer, thinner fibers and thicker stems (the cape is the center feathers, this particular cape came with some saddle feathers on the sides)
Hen_Cape.jpg
Hen_Cape.jpg (138.59 KiB) Viewed 8762 times
Single Feather
Singlefeather.jpg
Singlefeather.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 8758 times
Both are good feathers types to use. I am really fond of the saddle feathers though, love the color patterns on them.
Scott D
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Scott,

I have been enthusiastic about the Brahma hen feathers from the moment I first laid my eyes on them. Wonderful stuff, both neck and saddle feathers, each in their own right.

You mentioned some saddle feathers a attached to the neck patch shown - hmmm, I refer to them as shoulder feathers in my recipes. What do you think?

Cheers,
Hans W
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 pm

Hey Bill.
The only difference I can tell is that the Chickaboo patch is included with the cape. I have both and the feathers are identical other than the missing rump patch on the cape. As RnF points out, there are differences in shape between saddle patches (hen back), Indian Hen backs, and full capes. The samples I have are both capes; one with and one without the rump patch of chickaboo. Those feathers are the same shape, just minus the patch.

Best,
Bruce
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:31 pm

By the way... Steve Schweitzer has a terrific caddis emerger pattern using these feathers... Very simple and very realistic looking when wet.

http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/taboucaddis/

B-
RnF

Post by RnF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Hans, agreed they are shoulder feathers. I would say there is little difference between the shoulder and the saddle feathers from what I can gather. I think the shoulder feathers my have a bit thicker stem. But the feather fibers are very similar.

My partridge feathers are collecting dust after finding these. I am as enthusiastic about them as you are.
Scott D
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Scott,
agreed they are shoulder feathers. I would say there is little difference between the shoulder and the saddle feathers from what I can gather. I think the shoulder feathers my have a bit thicker stem. But the feather fibers are very similar.
Exactly.

Hans W
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:40 am

Lets not forget the abundance of chickabou feathers too....this stuff is great of tailing on small wooly buggers and the like. I absolutely love them. Very soft and alive with movement. A lot like marabou but better IMHO

Also keep this in mind:
Cape/neck (from the head to shoulders)
Saddle (back patch)
Chickabou/soft hackle (is the breast and lower neck region)
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:45 am

The grayish color feathered ones are with Brahama Hen chickabou and soft hackle
the olive/brown colored ones are Coq de Leon chickabou and soft hackle

jcrumbacher

Post by jcrumbacher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 pm

I have a question concerning the size range of these hackles. I've heard the Brahma hen saddles are useful only for larger fles (14+). Will the capes and saddles handle a full range of sizes?

Thanks,
Jay