I Took The Plunge

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

service tech

I Took The Plunge

Post by service tech » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 pm

I ordered some Peasall's today. I should have enough other materials to be able to dive in head first.
Liam

Re: I Took The Plunge

Post by Liam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Good for you- it's a great tying medium. Make sure you get a good wax, it's a critical element to tying some of these flies properly.
service tech

Post by service tech » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 pm

What do you suggest for a wax?
Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 pm

I personally like Keane wax, although it's difficult to find. Veniard prepared flytier's wax is also excellent. I use both regularly (depending on which one I can find at the moment). ;)
olber

Post by olber » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:11 am

Oh, yes the pearsall's really are nice:) you can use it unwaxed, waxed with a colorless wax, or if you can find it cobbler's wax
I have used veniards colorless wax and beeswax with nice results, though i prefer the one from veniard myself, but most blocks of wax from other manufacturers will work fine as well.
Cobbler's wax is not easy to get and some just make their own by mixing beeswax and tar. It's mainly called for in Greenwells glory. Enjoy your spools and happy tying :)

Cheers Olav
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

SD,

I've got some small pieces of Keane wax and cobblers wax I can send along. I've still got your addy so I'll try to get it in the post Friday.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
service tech

Post by service tech » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Very much appreciated. Thanks alot.