Which hackle collar slant do you aim for in your tying?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

WebbyFeathers

Re: Which hackle collar slant do you aim for in your tying?

Post by WebbyFeathers » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 am

#3 or possibly #1, definitely not #2. Just my personal preference though. I believe it pulsates, but then, I'm not looking at it from a fish's view.... Probably doesn't mean a whole lot once they're in the drink.

I once got into a debate with a fellow tier about my style for PT Nymphs. He argued (putting it lightly) that the legs HAVE TO SWEPT BACK ALONG THE BODY. Mine were finer tips and kept out somewhat by the thorax. My contention was that this would allow the possibility of some action. His legs were the butt ends of the herl. I guess we just had two bipolar philosophies....
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:52 pm

No.1 and mostly for aesthetic reasons. The classic slightly swept back look is just so appealing.

As for fishing I think they all work. I'm sure we all know one or two friends that even slant them forward for a kick in the current--and I'm also quite sure they catch fish just fine with that style to. :D

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
AaronH

Post by AaronH » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 pm

I strive for #3 because Ralph Graves who mentored my soft hackle tying said that the hackle must look like an umbrella (when viewed from the side). If you know Ralph you know he is adamant about what he believes is right or wrong. Besides I think it looks better and gives the hackle the opportunity to move up and down and all over.
AaronH
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Yes, Aaron,
You are right about Ralph, but not sure Ralph is ALWAYS right. He's pretty sharp, though. :D

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:59 am

Ah . . . two gentlemen who obviously know Ralph well. :-) Still among the very best I have ever seen tie a fly.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 am

*chuckle*

It did not take me very long to know Ralph "well"... Only a few days stay in Rockland House 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:16 am

Re "not always RIGHT" . . . yeah, occasionally wrong, but never in doubt. That's Ralph.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Well said Johnno. I agree.

From an visual aesthetic standpoint, I generally shoot towards fly one, but I find with soft hackle flies that you can generally make the hackle look like any of the angles simply by pushing the hackle around with your thumb and fore fingers. If I want the hackle swept back over the body, I just give the fly a firm pinch between my thumb and finger. If it doesn't look good, I just brush the hackle forward. Once it goes in my fly box and at the end of my fly line, I don't give it a second though. The hackle can do what ever it wants. It's free to move around freely at any angle it wants to to seduce a fish. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:25 pm

I forgot to add that I think all three are "confidence flies", Hans. I agree with Vern, they look like killer steelhead flies.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
BruceC

Post by BruceC » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Hans,
I have to say that #3 would be my choice also. I agree with Aaron about the way Ralph ties his hackles. I have a few of Ralph's soft hackles and I used them as examples to try and imitate when I first started tying wingless wets. Lots of times a particular fly will call for a scraggy kind of look that many of us call "buggy". Keeping in mind the sparseness of many traditional wingless wet patterns, there's just something about the clean look of #3 that works for me.

But I'd happily fish any of the choices offered here :D

Cheers,
Bruce C