Which hackle collar slant do you aim for in your tying?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Which hackle collar slant do you aim for in your tying?

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 am

And why?

Black Afrikaner

Olive Afrikaner

White Afrikaner

I am simply curious after your preference. There are no prizes, sorry 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
RnF

Re: Which hackle collar slant do you aim for in your tying?

Post by RnF » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:05 am

I like the first one, it just looks better to me ascetically (more balanced). But, I will say it matters not to the fish. Once it gets wet, it all looks and lies the same.

You could tie it forward and it would still lie back in the water on a swing. Just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
Scott D
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 am

Here goes Hans.....I can't stop looking at the third pic and I'm not sure why (I think it's because of the white body) Everytime I look at it, I'm like I wonder how that would work for steelies......and then I'm like ahh crap I'm suppose to be looking at the hackle.....but look at that puffy white body.....steelies steelies....oh yeah the hackle, what about the hackle?.....could sort of be a sheath around the egg.....ohhh yeah which hackle do I like better?.....boy I bet that would crush the steelies......which hackle?.... I like the third one because I envision a more undgulating motion in the water. If I were to have tyed this myself, it would have looked like the first one (just not as a clean).....so my vote is for #3 :lol: :lol:
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:18 am

Vern-O,

Just for your toothy steelies each of the flies has a thin plastic ribbon, twisted into a cord, rib as a reinforcement for the ostrich herl body.

The white one has white, the olive green, and the black has a purple rib. Look close and you may see 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:33 am

Slant # 3. There's more possibility for range of motion; I'm not always fishing on the swing.
Bob
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 am

Agree on #3 for the same reason redietz said.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
VERN-O

Post by VERN-O » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:14 am

nice on the ribbing....did not catch that at all!!!! very nice! 8-)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 am

I know when I try to get the hackle to set in a particular slant, I aim for the first image. I usually fish these flies up and across in a drag-free manner, and I want the fly to appear to look like an emerging insect, with legs and parts swept back the way I imagine the insects body moving. I get how the more perpendicular hackle set will provide more kick under force, but in a free-drifting condition, it would look like a....hmmmm. It would look like a cripple/spinner/tumbling insect. eh...take your pick.

If I get what I want I like this set. If not, I just rationalize how it actually looks more natural a little off. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Pat M

Post by Pat M » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 am

redietz wrote:Slant # 3. There's more possibility for range of motion; I'm not always fishing on the swing.
I agree with this statement. I would choose #3 as well.
Swing Step Swing
billc

Post by billc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:12 am

Hans,

Add my vote for # 3 as well. I've bought into the theory that this profile gives you the best chance for that "alive " look no matter how you are fishing the pattern. I also find that when I am trying for that silhouette I do a better job of keeping things sparse.......probably more important that the profile itself