Sylvester Nemes on Bead Heads...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

BruceC

Sylvester Nemes on Bead Heads...

Post by BruceC » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:33 pm

I had a few minutes to spare while waiting for a call today and stumbled upon a website I had not seen before. The site featured the work of many tiers including Sylvester Nemes. The photos of Syl's flies are better than average and there are a number of patterns to choose from.

The text begins with a conversation with Syl regarding the use of beads on soft hackles. I won't give away the punch line and let anyone who cares to read it for yourself.

Here's the site: http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/Fly ... index.html.

I'm not an advocate of using or not using beads... just stirring the pot a bit :)

Cheers,
Bruce C
WebbyFeathers

Re: Sylvester Nemes on Bead Heads...

Post by WebbyFeathers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:22 pm

I guessed that one correctly before I checked out the link. I have enjoyed several of his books and would have been shocked at any other reply. I see quite a few SH patterns being rendered useless by adding beads.

Personally, I got way too far into the whole beadhead thing with my nymphs about ten years ago. I'm trying to break the habit. Recovering addict...I guess. I wonder if there's a Beadhead's Anonymous organization out there that could help?
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Interesting! I don't particularly like weighting wingless wets unless it's tinsel or wire as a rib, but these are so light-weight and fine, that they don't add much. I do fish with some weighted flies in the early spring, but don't weight my wingless wets.

I recall a real long discussion on the Fly Fisherman board concerning weather or not Leisenring used weight. It was quite entailed. I don't recall the conclusion, however. I believe it was he did not.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 pm

ALSO, CHECK OUT HIS ONE AND ONLY DVD (AS FAR AS I KNOW?). THERE IS A BRIEF MOMENT OF DISCUSSION ABOUT BEAD HEADS.
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for the link. I'd say Syl is looking pretty darn good in that pic. I had to chuckle a bit here reading his comment regarding the use of beadheads on soft hackles.

Regards, Jerry
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 pm

I have his DVD too and he's pretty adamant about what constitutes a soft hackle fly! So, I guess he's a purist through and through!

He also makes tying soft hackles look easy, I know I don't find it that simple!

First there's getting used to tying with silk,what a difference. Then there's getting just the right amount of hackle and distributing it evenly around the hook shank!

Wayneb
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:29 pm

No weight for me either other than the hook or rib on SHs, however I have been known to place a bead on the tippet so it slides down and sits on the eye - just for the time it was required.... :oops:

Not trying to hijack, but interesting the comment he prefers to tie in the hackle by the tip. I recall in a recent thread that a number of tiers here prefer to tie in stem first.

(Hope Hans does not see the heads on Mr Neme's flies :P ;) )
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:19 pm

Wow looked at the link, interestiing about turn on which end of the hackle to tie on the hook. On the DVD he touts all the benefits of tying the hackle in by the stem. Could the author perhaps have gotten it wrong?? MR. Nemes doesn't come across to me as some one that would easily change his mind about something.

Wayneb
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 pm

wayneb wrote:Wow looked at the link, interestiing about turn on which end of the hackle to tie on the hook. On the DVD he touts all the benefits of tying the hackle in by the stem. Could the author perhaps have gotten it wrong?? MR. Nemes doesn't come across to me as some one that would easily change his mind about something.

Wayneb
I posted a link on the old forum to Davie McPhail tying a Waterhen Bloa on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHaTH2BE ... annel_page

He is tying in "tip first", but he is also making a point of that he is using silk, commenting on how a "modern thread" probably would cut right through the hackle. Purists naturally always use silk, but those who don't might be better off tying stem first.

Opinions?

dd
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:03 pm

I very much agree with Sylvester Nemes.
I have tied a few spiders and flymphs with beads but I did not really like them.
Nymphs OK. but flymphs and spiders are meant to be fished, at or just below the surface and weighting them with a bead defeats that.
There are no rules carved in stone, and if you want to add a bead, go ahead.
A waste of a good fly, I think.