Tups Mix...

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Johnno

Tups Mix...

Post by Johnno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:38 pm

Anyone know where I can source some (what now passes for the) original Tups mix? I have some old Sue Burgess Tups mix which although I can't testify as to how accurate the mix is, seems pretty good but have only enough now for about a couple of dozen flies.

If I can't find any, I guess I'll have to make my own as I have all the required ingredients bar one, but the thought of approaching a feisty ram's nether regions armed with some shears does not really appeal :D
daringduffer

Re: Tups Mix...

Post by daringduffer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:41 pm

How about sourcing som wool and letting your own water on it?

dd
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Johnno, you live in sheep heaven, surely you can find some burly guy to wrangle you some. :mrgreen:

In doing my research I never was able to determine what breed of sheep was used in the original mix.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:23 pm

Mix 1/2 red seal fur 1/2 yellow seal fur. After this add to it about one third of the total of those two furs in tannish colored hare's mask-guard hair removed. It looks great, and works well:

http://www.flymphforum.com/phpBB3/viewt ... p?f=6&t=51

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:03 pm

Mark, Hush. I want to see a video of Johnno trying to collect some Tups material from an angry ram. Might win a $100.000 on Funniest Home Videos.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Heh! I have crutched a fair few sheep in my time and I can assure you that a big strong and grumpy ram can be a handful. :shock:
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Deleted
Last edited by mvendon on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:32 pm

GUYS,
WHAT ABOUT G.E.M. SKUES ACCOUNT AS FOUND IN KENNETH ROBSONS BOOK "THE ESSENTIAL G.E.M. SKUES"? THERE IS A FAIRLY LONG DISCUSSION (AND KINDA HUMOROUS TOO) ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF THE PATTERN AND IT'S FAMED DUBBING!
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Hi Mark,
I'm quite curious about the "find" of Austin's mix but IF the conclusion that the mix was not taken from the Tups' private area was made through the examination of the fur or is it a supposition. Based on the history, the Tups was originally a dry fly, not wet. It was Skues that developed it into a "nymph" pattern. It would make sense that the oily make up of the hair would be desirable for a dry fly application. Even after washing, the lanolin in the wool would still be there to some extent.

From the Overseas Correspondence chapter of The Angling Letters of G E M Skues - Ed. C F Walker.. 1956 pub Skues clearly states he improved upon Austin's original pattern using orange, yellow and olive seal's fur for the dubbing.

Leisenring, who also corresponded with Skues, used yellow and red seal fur only.

The speculation of the contents of the mix has long been questioned or disputed, however there are many very clear references to its contents over the years. I would guess that the supposed dressing was accurate.

Mike Connors had a photo of a Tups which I believe he said was tied by Austin's daughter. It was rather faded in it's coloration. Hairs and furs can thin-out over time from sitting around. Colors can be fugitive and fade. So we need to base our ideas on all the cumulative evidence.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I would have to think that the fur from the nether regions of the ram would have the same qualities that urine stained fox has. This can not be substitued with other furs unless from the same area. That is UV qualities.