YLI silk thread 100

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wayneb

YLI silk thread 100

Post by wayneb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi All;

Anyone tried this brand of thread?

I've seen it used on soft hackles on a couple of other sites and I think it's slightly thicker than Pearsalls. It comes in 200meter spools that fit a standard bobbin for about $4.00 per spool. It has the same translucent effect when wet as Pearsalls.

I just ordered 5 spools, off white,pale yellow,purple,burgundy,and forest green.

Wayneb
DOUGSDEN

Re: YLI silk thread 100

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 pm

WAYNEB,
SOUNDS INTERESTING! I'VE NEVER VENTURED MUCH BEYOND PEARSALLS SILKS WHEN I TIE WITH SILKS. MOST ALWAYS USE DANVILLES 6/0 OR UNI BRAND THREADS IN 6/0 AND 8/0 OR BENECCHI'S 12/0 THREADS. SORRY FELLOWS, I KNOW THAT SILKS ARE TRADITIONAL AND ALL BUT THEY BULK UP IN A HURRY. SILKS SOMETIMES MAKE GREAT BODIES ON S.H.'S AND OTHER WETS. LET US KNOW HOW THE YL1 SILKS DO!
DOUGSDEN
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm

I have ordered some YLI, will report in due course. I also use other threads than Pearsall. Here is a Spider using UNI pale blue thread, gray 'possum touch dubbed and [obviously] starling hackle.
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:10 pm

I just bought and used some for a couple of patterns. It is just a little more thick than Pearsall's, but handles pretty much the same. There are a couple of shades that I tried that Pearsall's doesn't have. I'm by no means an expert since I don't work with silk that often, but it seems just fine to me. The spools are big so they fit on my regular bobbin too.

Regards,
Mark
Last edited by mvendon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:47 pm

It looks quite nice. Now, it would just be a matter of matching up colors with Pearsall's.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Follow this link to see a soft hackle and midge pattern tied with YLI silk. The tier even shows the pattern both wet & dry.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/8186

This fly is what got me interested in YLI silk, when I recieve the thread I ordered and everything checks out, I'll provide the ebay seller with list of colors she carries. I wouldn't want to recommend a seller until I'm sure it works out.

Wayneb
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:36 am

I bought mine from Red Rocks thread. I ordered it online on a Monday, and it was delivered in the early part of the following week. It was 4.75 for a spool. The color chart they have isn't all that great, but there's a pretty good one at Rose Rushbrooke's site that has pictures of the spools. Even though PC monitors can vary the color a little, the actual thread colors are pretty close to what the actual color of the silk is pictured when you get it. I have a 10X magnifier that I can take a side by side picture of Pearsall's compared to YLI 100 if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like close-up.

Regards,
Mark