Greenfinch pictures

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Greenfinch pictures

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 am

I recently acquired a Greenfinch skin and posted a fly or two which has this material for the hackle. I was asked after it by a few, so decided to snap some pictures to share.

Full skin

Scalp

Upper back

Lower back

Side

Cheers,
Hans W
William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Greenfinch pictures

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks Hans, that is an especially good looking skin. I was really impressed by the way the light played through the hackle fibers on the fly you tied. This is a good looking bird.

I know there are a lot of flies that are not designed on any entomological bases, and it certainly never stopped a trout from taking one. But a skin like this just begs to be used, doesn't it. I think the same thing when I see a picric dyed material. Maybe the mayflies in Chernobyl have a particular cast to them that resembles picric, but the trout in that region are now colorblind, so, its a missed opportunity.

Is this skin something that is available in some areas? Legal? just curious.

I don't actually have any point to this post except to say thanks for the pics.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 am

William,
Is this skin something that is available in some areas? Legal? just curious.
Legal - yes, I sure hope so or I may be in trouble.

One of the members of this forum, Olav Berg, supplied this particular skin. He has other quite interesting items available also. You may want to touch base with him if interested.

Cheers,
Hans W
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:29 am

I can just see Olavs' mail box over flowing, need to delete, take time off from work. I hate this site. I will have to buy more stuff. The quest continues. :lol:

Olav where are you?
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
olber

Post by olber » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 am

Right here buddy:)
olber

Post by olber » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:58 am

Well regarding the greenfinch skins, they are hard to source as they are not shot, but they simply are either killed by my dear assistant "Helmuth- der schwarze katz" (my cat) or they just fly straight in to a window and break their neck. they may be able to shoot legally if a farmer claims that they are damaging his crop.

At the moment i have just a couple of greenfinches, so first come first served:)

Cheers- Olav