Attempt at Tying in Hand

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

BruceC

Re: Attempt at Tying in Hand

Post by BruceC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Nice job, Liam. I've seen several people in my short career who tied in hand. The most interesting (other than yours of course :) ) was Lee Wulff tying a size 28 Royal Wulff in hand. His left thumb was badly deformed and bent back from tying this way. I'm sure the video must be on the internet somewhere. It was quite soemthing to see. I make my foam, adult stonefly bodies this way. It's very easy to do and less of a problem than using a vise for this process. I've done this for demonstrations and always get a rise out of the crowd.

Well done!
Bruce C
Liam

Re: Attempt at Tying in Hand

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I have never had the pleasure of watch Mr. Wulff tie anything, let alone a #28 Royal Wulff in hand. It is interesting that you both mention this because since I began fly fishing I have always had an aesthetic attraction to that particular fly and it is still one of my "when all else fails" flies. I had already decided it will be my next attempt- in a 12 or 14, though! If others are interested in seeing it I will post it in this thread and hope we're not bending the rules too much! :D