Attempt at Tying in Hand

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Liam

Attempt at Tying in Hand

Post by Liam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 pm

I decided to put this under tying rather than dressings because the dressing is fairly traditional, while the technique is one not often employed. By technique I am referring to tying "in hand". After watching "The Lost World of Mr. Hardy" which features Ken Middlemist tying full dress Atlantic salmon flies entirely in hand, I was inspired to try doing this (not salmon flies!) myself. I was pleased to find that it is not as difficult as it would seem and some aspects are actually easier without the vise. I tied two flies before this in this manner, but this is my first attempt at tying a fly in a size and dressing I would actually fish. As always comments, criticism or insight are appreciated. I honestly used for tools only hackle pliers, scissors, and bobbin. To do it in the real traditional way, even the bobbin should not be used.

Snow Partridge and Orange
Sprite Perfect International #12
Hot Orange Pearsall's
Snow Partridge
Gray Possum
Liam

Re: Attempt at Tying in Hand

Post by Liam » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks Mike. The "bobbin" which I will now call a "bobbin-holder" actually does seem to get in the way. Like many things I only called it that because that is what I have been taught it is called! In these early attempts I have relied on it simply because of the tension it puts on the thread for tying off, etc. I actually have really enjoyed tying this way and any insight I can get on this modality would be greatly appreciated.
Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Mike- I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you put into helping all of us learn something. You are quite generous with the information that you have acquired and I, for one, am indebted.

I learned quite quickly that a bit of forethought was necessary regarding materials preparation! I will be playing a bit more with dressing in hand tonight (sans the bobbin holder) and I hope to produce some more complex flies. However, I don't think I'm ready to set quill wings this way quite yet! :D

Thanks again Mike, I really appreciate the resource.
Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Same fly without the bobbin holder employed. In my limited experience with this method some things are easier, some things are harder without the holder.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:19 pm

I thought the first fly looked good, the second is even better. Nicely done.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:09 am

Liam,

Could you please send me your vise. It is obvious that you will not need it anymore. Congrats.

dd
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:25 am

Liam, that is great to see. Nice fly. And good for you for trying that. Imagine the skill you'd possess after tying 100 of these. or a hundred a day. The old timers must have had a very different experience tying. At least you have some idea.

nicely done.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

Liam,

Perhaps you are familiar with the Mustad 277 #32 hook, or if not, here is a visual

It is safe to assume that you will concur with my observation that this Mustad 277 hook is, well, rather tiny 8-)

Why do I bring this up as part of this thread? Well, some years back I conducted a small (operative word!) project, where I sent out a number of these hooks to tiers I knew with the request to tie a fly on the hook and return their output to me.

At the time there was a restart attempt for Rogan of Donegal, the company known among other things as a what-is-this-thing-called-a-flytying-vice-we-only-tie-in-hand outfit. The star tier of the outfit tied me a Peter Ross on the teeny Mustad hook. How she ever managed to 1. hold on to the hook, and 2. expose enough of the hook to tie on, is a mystery to me to this very day!!!

Cheers,
Hans W

PS Well done on your first attempts!
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 am

I once had the privilege of watching Lee Wulff tie a Royal Wulff on a #28 hook sans vise. It was even more amazing given that he was in his eighties at the time.
Bob
Liam

Post by Liam » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:50 am

That's insane! I don't think I've worked my way up to that yet, but I did actually manage to tie a muddler minnow in hand as a response to a challenge from a friend. Spinning deer hair is quite difficult without the vise! :D