video - Tummelweed

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Re: video - Tummelweed

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:12 am

letumgo wrote:Hans - I have a couple questions about the delicate wing. Is that slip of partridge tail folded before it is tyed in (to get the same coloration on both sides)? I have seen these done with two small slips, placed back-to-back. Others use a single slip folded length wise. Yours looked like just a single slip, unfolded. I'm curious to know your thoughts on how best to do the wing.
Ray,

No hard and fast rules. With these partridge tail barbs - they are relatively 'heavy' plus both sides are virtually the same color = single slip.

If i were to use finer material, such as starling, i would double a slip. For these very slender outline wings i feel using matching slips is overkill/masochism.

Cheers,
Hans W
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Hans, I marvel at nearly everyone of these videos. Simple, clean and a wonderful demonstration of techniques. Thanks so much for doing these. This one in particular surprised me as I thought..."There is so little to this fly...how long could this viddy be?" and I admit I learn a great deal with each one of these, this one included. I'm always inspired. Thanks again.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Great tutorial Hans! Earlier this year I tied up a few tummel patterns as well as Tay& clyde style flies. haven't caught anything on them yet but I really didn't fish them enough.