Feather Substitution

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

paparex

Feather Substitution

Post by paparex » Thu May 31, 2012 3:05 am

I am looking for substitution of waterhen to tie up the Waterhen Bloa. Coot has been proposed but it too is in short supply. Does anyone have a suggestion for a substitute? Also, I haven't found a supplier in the US or Canada for these products. Please let me know.
Mataura mayfly

Re: Feather Substitution

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu May 31, 2012 4:37 am

I use Pukeko. Now I am not suggesting it would be an easier find at your local flyshop, but for people wishing to find a Pukeko substitute I suggest using the belly feathers of a Silver Pheasant Cock bird........ which may be easier to find.

Pukeko pelt

Silver Pheasant

"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Thu May 31, 2012 4:53 am

I know how hard it is to get even here in the UK. Try ebay, you never know what you may find.
I have substituted Waterhen with a white feather from a gull and then dyed it using a grey permanent marker. My marker is a light great and it does the trick.
I truly believe that the 'springiness' of the feather is as important, if not more that the rest of the pattern. However a pale dun colour is required.
So be innovative, look for feathers of some birds whose feather qualities match a waterhen feather (BTW all feathers can be sided of a skin, you just need to tie differently) and then change the colour.
When I get back home to Oz, I see lots of birds that would substitute for feathers used on soft hackle flies. Trouble is getting them back here.
But, with the scarcity of traditional feathers, we will have to look further and I am sure that there are substitutes in other countries wild fowl.
AND, don't go past the Brahma Hen capes. There is great scope there alone.
Otter

Post by Otter » Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 am

One thing to bear in mind when looking for waterhen substitute is that there is a brown hue to waterhen feathers and I would agree with philip that the inherent elasticity of many game bird feathers is quite important.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu May 31, 2012 7:35 am

French partridge upper coverts will work in a pinch for waterhen (especially if you tint them with a light grey marking pen), and there are some feathers on a Gambel's quail that are nearly indistinguishable even under macro conditions ... see http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2739.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 am

Without dying or having to sacrifice on sizing, I would suggest the California Quail. There are a number of subs, but I just got this skin a couple months ago and have been intending to get back to it. (I'll bring it with me!) WOOHOO!! Bill (tie2fish) Shuck introduced me to this skin, I believe. He also ties with French Partridge which looks like a good sub as well. But if you can find a California Quail, I highly recommend it.

California Quail

Waterhen

HA! he posted while I was typing. There ya go.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu May 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Both chukar (French partridge) and CA Quail will work. Chukar has a little more brown to the feather but you can find some on the quail as well. Chukar feathers tend to run a bit larger generally than the quail. The quail is a little more springy and the chukar a bit softer. Just depends on what your after. Personally I'd get one of each, they are not that expensive and both skins are full of beautiful usable feathers.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

If you try Cookshill, a phone call may be best.
http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/gsr.htm

Glasgow Angling is another good bet.
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/moorhen_537.html

Please Note:
Moorhen and Waterhen are the same bird.
A phone call to the UK is not too expensive, jusst get the UK business hours correct.
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/