Clark's Dubbing Blocks

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

CreationBear

Re: Clark's Dubbing Blocks

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 am

Good, solid, robust
Thanks, I imagine we cast to same kind of "unfussy" trout most of the time. (And FWIW, I'm definitely going to steal your description for my wife's Valentine's Day card next year... :lol: )
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:29 pm

CB - Great flies! I am especially enamored with the one with the peacock herl twisted along with the rest of the material. Gorgeous effect. Thank you for sharing. I love your creativity.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:43 pm

CreationBear wrote:
Good, solid, robust
And FWIW, I'm definitely going to steal your description for my wife's Valentine's Day card next year... :lol: )

CB, I'm sure she will appreciate that as much as Gab would. Good luck. :D

The flies are outstanding. I'm' digging that last one with the wire twist thorax. Outstanding. I haven't done it yet, but I'm sure you could untwist the gossamer silk before laying out your dubbing and maybe get a different effect, although I can't imagine I would be able to spot it. The floss does offer something as you describe, when you tying smaller flies. #14's don't count, there's a sprawling suburban amount on real estate on a #14. :D
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm sure you could untwist the gossamer silk before laying out your dubbing and maybe get a different effect,
Thanks, gents... As for the herl-body flies, it might be fun to use some of the new, dyed peacock sticks in contrasting colors for a cased caddis, though I imagine you could drop any old thing in a loop, like, say, a ringtail or Amherst pheasant tail fiber, depending on the habits of your local species.

William, if I understand your comment, the wire brush thorax was made by tying in a length of amber Uni-wire, then a loop (quel suprise :lol: ) of extra-fine Lagurtan's wire. I then dubbed one leg of the loop, inserted the amber wire through it, then twisted the brush up and wound it toward the hook-eye. Doing it this way instead of using a pre-fab wire brush really cuts down on the bulk at the tie-in point and (especially) leaves you a much cleaner tie-off point on which you can wrap the hackle. It also allows you to use this kind of "hot-spot" on a pretty small fly--smaller than even a #14, if you can believe it. :lol:
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I sure liked Pete's block. Especially loved the one with the white and black slanted like that... The flies on this thread had me drooling. I have been busy working on that rod, so I haven't been tying lately. These flies guys, are out of this world good. I am LOVING THEM. :mrgreen:
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Ladies and Gents,
I am still just blown away by this post and all it's threads! Five pages already! Keep it going!
One interesting thought....I notice in everyones postings that each one of you is using materials and techniques to achieve a certain body style that appeals to you. By the way, it appeals to the rest of those carefully watching this thread also! There is no "right" way. They are all right because one of the most satisfying aspects of this noble sport is being able to manipulate materials in such ways as to be pleasing to your eyes and ultimately to the trouts convincing! The diversity and variations I see on the screen coming from each contributor to this post is simply astounding and I can't get enough of it!
Where are the limits to this creativity? Thankfully, there are none! As long as humans have open and creative minds, these wonderful processes and beautiful patterns will always be ahead of us! What a blast it is just to be a small part of this forum!

Wheww,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Thank you, Doug. I am enjoying working through learning to use this method.

Here are a couple others using a 50/50 blend of Hares Ear and Seal. The first is done with a dropped loop from the bend and the second a separate spun body on the block. They are just different. I may be able to get a more consistent result with more practice, but then that might not actually be the point. I'd be curious to hear which you prefer and why.

I tied a set of these Partridge and Hare/Seal 1250's using a drop loop then tied one from the block using gold gossamer silk, not allowing the time required for the loop to bind before applying.

Partridge and Hare/Seal 1250 - Drop Loop from the bend.

Partridge and Hare/Seal 1250 - Dubbing Block Spun Body on Gold Silk

And another using a drop loop, but using quite a bit more dubbing.

More practice is needed. Until then you'll just have to watch me struggle through it. Any tips would be much appreciated.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:55 am

[quote] I may be able to get a more consistent result with more practice, but then that might not actually be the point./quote] :lol:

I think "consistency" will always be a relative term with brushes, if only because each dubbing mix will have a different percentage of compressible vs. coarse fibers--so put down those vernier calipers, gents. :) One thing I have found, though, is that I'm more of a "taker-awayer" than a "putter-inner" when it comes to loading the brush (to use a term-of-art :lol: ). I.e., after carding the dubbing fibers and laying them perpendicularly on the thread, I press the fingertips of my left hand on the center of the thread and scrape away fibers until the length of dubbing has the right shape and bulk. I mention this only in connection with "block design"--the method is perhaps better used on slick sanded/varnished wood than on a surface that is "grabby" enough to impart a bit of friction.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:08 am

Nice flies all of them, I like the second best because of the more spiky body.

Sometimes I take away some fur of the already half turnes thread or wire. I do my best to distribute the dubbeing evenly but at some places it is not very well done so I have to take away some dubbing.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:09 pm

William,
I am in love with all three of your beautiful creations! Which one do I prefer? You will have to wait until tomorrow! I am just getting in from a furious card game at my in-laws (always a blast) and I tuned in to this thread just to see what's going on. I like what I am seeing!
I am captivated by the "consistancy" problem that you think you have. William, all other factors being equal (and with these three, they are all very equal....the other factors that is), you are achieving exactly what you set out to accomplish. I.E. differing body types based on differing ways of applying them (a better term is creating them!). The end results in all three is just amazing! You have really hit the nail on the head as far as being able to get the results you want anytime you want them. I have been struggling with this issue for several years (ask Bill). My trouble is that I am not as consistant as I want to be because I do not practice nearly enough and not nearly as well as you do!
Which one do I like? Tomorrow will tell the tale! Good night!
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ -- DDDDDDDDDD
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.