pheasant tail soft hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: pheasant tail soft hackle

Post by DUBBN » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 am

gingerdun wrote:Hair dye for dubbing?
Never heard of this before, but it makes sense.
Are other tyers doing this?
Or is this your invention?
Very cool.

Lance
I am sure others are doing this Lance, but like you, it's news to me. Makes perfect sense aswell. My wife will not worry when I bring home Chestnut, Pink, or Orange hair dye. She will just roll her eyes :roll: and tell me not to make a mess.
cicvara

Post by cicvara » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

-do not know if it works for some, perhaps, I tried the rabbit foot and succeeded me, to see the flies, I still have some color, I tried with other furs, when I have them I'll try, should be a little brighter to to succeed. Although it all may be purchased already painted, but I prefer it when I do.Chestnut or Orange hair dye, It is a good suggestion.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:39 pm

Hair dye works just fine for tying materials....... just make sure you read the packs and get permanent stuff, not the type designed to wash out to natural after half a dozen showers..... otherwise a killer pattern on the first cast might end up rather dull by the tenth cast! :lol:

Great looking PT variant to start the thread though. I have never formed a herl rope like that for a PT.... must give it a try.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Great fly!

Salon coloring was an integral part of the hair/hackle insert craze that ruffled the feathers of many dry fly tyers. For some selling their select skins to the hair shops or on ebay was a goldmine. ;)
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:15 pm

So simple yet so effective. You have to love pheasant tail.

Awesome fly Cicvara! Good thinking with the hair dye... I've never even thought of that before.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 am

Hi gingerdun,
Eric Leiser, who has written some books on materials and dying them and who use to own and run his own fly shop some years back, used women's hair dye (Clairol) for dying rooster and hen neck. ( He did an article on the technique for Fly Fisherman Magazine some time ago.) It works quite well, especially for getting good dun colored feathers. Eric also used a photo-dying technique, using silver nitrate and developing chemicals to achieve dun colored dry fly necks of very high quality. The advantage was it was done using cool water and it added natural shine to hackle fibers which was not achieved using standard dying methods.

Mark

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tying-Materia ... 0832903337
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Mark, and Cicvara,

This information about dying options is greatly appreciated.

Lance
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Rasevic - I've been away for a few days, so I am a little late in commenting on this post. Thank you for taking the time to take photos of the individual tying steps. I find this very useful/helpful. This is another excellent fishing pattern. Thank you for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Great fly and a bit of an eye opener for me. I have not used snowshoe hare for the thorax, but it looks great. I suspect a fur and "Ice" dubbing blend in a complementary color would also work well.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 pm

NJpatbee wrote:Great fly and a bit of an eye opener for me. I have not used snowshoe hare for the thorax, but it looks great. I suspect a fur and "Ice" dubbing blend in a complementary color would also work well.

I agree. Since I do not have Snowshoe I too have used a "fur and Ice" dubbing blend. Now if I could just get to the river to try it out.