Partridge & Muskrat.

Hendrickson.

March Brown.

Soft Hackle PT.

Some wee basic Spiders.

Greenwells Spider

Olive & Starling

Purple & Starling

"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Back to Basics

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Good stuff Jeff. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Hans W
on vacation in Croatia
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Jeff - I am so glad I checked this post again. Killer set of flies. Are you replenishing your fly boxes after your trip, or just preparing for the coming season?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 pm

letumgo wrote:Jeff - I am so glad I checked this post again. Killer set of flies. Are you replenishing your fly boxes after your trip, or just preparing for the coming season?

Bit of both...... and not at all. Just started out as some back to basics tying of some old patterns. Mainly because I was falling a little into the new and experimental rather than what I know catches fish here.
That and just tying up some soft hackle and flymph patterns you will all be familiar with, so I could experiment a little more with some photos. These were lit from the front with a fairly powerful head-torch. Kind of ruined the natural colours, especially in the dubbed flies...... but i will work on it. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:44 pm

Can't go wrong with those flies Jeff. Nice work! The fish WILL love them.
Siksika

Post by Siksika » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Dont edit out the vise...it gives your photos a wonderful context.
You might consider shutting the aperture down a bit and and bumping up the light. Doing so will extend your depth of field and allow all of the fly to come in focus.
Although great portrait painters of old had their subjects illuminated with a single source of light in order to "anchor" them, and a photographer is well advised to do the same, it might be appealing to at least highlight the opposite side of your flies by using a simple reflector made of foil. If for no other reason doing so might bring out a few more details by lifting the shadows.
Dont forget that when you illuminate from the side (at a shallow angle) textures are enhanced, which, is helpful. A single light source is perfect in this regard.
Finally, the closer a light source is to the subject, the softer (less contrast) the light. The further a light is from the subject the harsher (more contrast) the light. Either can be beneficial per your intent, however, I would suggest a softer light at a shallow side angle as most desirable. But then again, thats just me. :)
"Anticipation beckons us to the turmoil of the stream; the fruits of our labor and device realized in the rippled take." ~ Michael T. Shuey
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Man, you are really getting revved up for the season to start, and getting all your forum pals jazzed at the same time. Then once you hit the water, you can test out all these great patterns you are churning out. Classic flies, beautifully tied.

Many thanks for contributing so much to the forum, Jeff.

Lance
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Nice new set of flies! I particularly liked the Greenwell fly. :D