Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Re: Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks everybody for the responses, must have been a subject that hasn't come up much? :D :D
Great lot of interesting replies and I am shocked nobody has come up with the Thompson Duplex or a copy of it. The one that looks a bit like a set of automotive ignition points (for those of us that can remember pre-electronic ignition!)
Always hasd a hankering to try a set of those but never found any for sale here.

Ray, when you win lotto, buy me a set to would you. :D :D :lol:

Dubbn, that kind of photo composition was possibly my main reason for ordering the set I did, but they should work for pliers just as well. I did find a similar product here in NZ, it was cheap as well, but the metal hook was sharp as a razor and would cut a hackle quick as look at you. I biffed it away in disgust....... would have still worked as a photography stand.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Great thread Jeff. It was alot of fun!
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

letumgo wrote:Wayne - What pattern is that? Initially I was guessing it was a small version of your muskrat pattern, but then was not so sure. Figured I'd ask. Gorgous fly & photo, by the way.

JohnP - If you are a fan of still water flies, you should check out a tyer named Denny Rickards. I am a big fan of his stillwater patterns. He tyes impressionistic patterns which have a lot of inherent movement. I own his book entitled "Tying Stillwater Patterns For Trophy Trout" and can recommend it highly. (http://www.flyfishingstillwaters.com/aboutdenny.asp)

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled programing about hackle pliers and their many uses... ;) :D
Thanks for the link, Ray. I picked up this book earlier this summer and it is one of the best tying and fishing books I have read.

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-Patterns-Stil ... 1571881956
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Image[/quote]

Hey Wayne, that's a great-looking Tups, by the way! :)
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:49 pm

JohnP - I have that book too. Agreed. It is an excellent book.

Wayne - Beautiful fly.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm

I've used most of the types available, but always seem to go back to the small "English" style. But a close second is the "Teardrop". These 2 types seem to allow me better control. I am a little heavy handed with hackle, and these 2 help me quite a bit.
But, as has been stated, it depends on what you are used to, and use more. I suppose one could use a clothespin if it were all that was available; and get used to it.(Of course, the purist would use the wooden ones, and the non-purist would use the plastic ones) :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:37 am

The tear drop style has become my go to hackle pliers for quite some time now. On occasion a small soft hackle might break in the process of wrapping and with that I have found a small piece of trim type tape wrapped around each tip section to help. I am surprised more haven't gone to the Radio Shack style wire holding plier. Hans has been using them in nearly if not all his video's. I have tried them and found with fine feather barbs and stem that they will slip off the material. I have also had some feather breakage with them as someone else has mentioned. Perhaps they just need some tweaking to get these problems solved as I really do like how I am able to rotate them as I wrap.

Regards, Jerry
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 pm

I have about 6 different hackle pliers. I don't really like any of them. If I am using starling, I like the J Dorin. Most of the time I have Dr. Slick hackle pliers for larger flies. I also use the mini tester type hackle pliers...they all are not the same. Pomona makes the best. (jimbargins123 on Ebay) Minigrabber test clip. I have them on dowel rod sticks for holding flies too. They are better than the ones at Radio Shack in my opinion.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Most of the time I use my fingers but I have a number of types for special uses or difficult feathers....
Not all are pictured here. ;)

I like the rotary pliers especially tying parachute dry flies. My latest are some of the teardrop pliers and I haven't used them enough yet to form an opinion on them yet.

My most important use is salvaging a fly when I break my thread! :roll: :D
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 pm

80 of them for $17.00 (I think) on flea bay...beats 3-4 bucks a piece.... :D
Great for photographing a swarm or fleet of flies... :lol:
Murray