Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 am

Of all the tools I have, hackle pliers must be the most numerous. Tried most, bar the mini hook plastic bodied spring loaded hook variety.
Never really got the hang of the rotary ones.... to the point of near detesting them! :twisted: Just cannot get good control with them and end up with a lot of stem twisting. Time and time again I seem to go back to the good old English twist small Veniard ones I have had for years, but at times they can be too heavy if left unsupported hanging on a delicate hackle, or I bend the tip of a hackle beyond square breaking the stem (always happens just before you catch it with the thread!)

So my question (s) is (are), what do you use? And are the mini hook ones as good as they seem?

I have found nobody stocking the mini hook here in NZ...... but I am about to order some of the inter-web thingy. :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
narcodog

Re: Hackle pliers..... whatcha using?

Post by narcodog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 am

Jeff, I'm with you on the rotating pliers, I just don't care for them. What I use is a set of Bull Dog artery clamps. These are the same as what the Dette's used. They are not cheap but the hold the hackle.
The other type I use are the clamps made from flat spring steel, Tiemco along with others make them. They are easy to grip and have a nice weight to them. I gave up on the old English style years ago.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 am

Jeff, I have quite a collection of plier types as well. For years my favorite type are the J Dorin teardrop pliers. They don't have the holding power of others but plenty where you need it. What I like about them most is that my finger can support their weight and manipulate the stem rotation. They seem to protect delicate hackle like starling. I almost always (actually always) tie in the stem and clip the hackle tips so it had to be a light touch. I haven't given the electronic wire clip a fair trial. Rotary pliers either. I can see the merits of them, buy haven't practiced enough to make a habit of their use.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

I use rotary hackle pliers, and would be lost without them. I've tried a number of the more traditional types, but had problems with hackle breakage. When I win the lottery, I plan to buy a pair of the Wasatch clip version (Mark Romero swore by these) and the springy teardrop style hackle pliers.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04 pm

I use two sizes of the traditional English style hackle pliers -- a smaller one that is approximately 2" (50mm) OAL and one slightly larger at 2-7/16" (62mm) OAL. Despite the relatively small difference in length, the bigger one is significantly wider and heavier. The smaller one of the two does most of the actual hackle work, while the larger one gets used for things such as wrapping two hackles at the same time, grabbing and spinning dropped loop/herl ropes, grasping onto and maintaining tension on broken threads, etc. I own and have tried other types, including alligator clips, rotaries, spring-loaded hooks, etc., and find the English style to be the most versatile and easiest to use for my purposes. I have also watched other tyers, such as Ray, do marvelous work using the rotary type, so I'm sure it's mostly a matter of what you get used to.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 pm

I have had the large pliers for 35 years. I may be mistaken, but I believe it is the only tool I have left from the beginners fly tying kit my mother bought me. Yes, kits are the devil, and 90% of the kit including the vise was thrown away within a year. Like my scissors, I never use my pliers on wire. Even so the jaws on my pliers became smoothe a few years ago. The rubber sleave was added and my old friend is back in service.

The smaller pair is about 25 years old. I have started using them more since the larger pair became too smoothe to use a few years ago. Before I put the rubber sleave on them.

I am almost scared to try the rotary pliers. If I do, I am sure I will fall in love. It would be a shame to replace my old pliers. They are like old friends to me.

IT SUCKS TO GET OLD!!! :lol:

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Very interesting. Thank you all for the informative replies.
I ordered a set of 4 plastic mini hooks off the Jack Gartside site, sounds like I was on a similar track to most already with the same kind of rubber sleeve on twisted wire pliers, but the plastic spring things will have uses as photography stands and drying supports if they don't cut the mustad as actual hackle pliers.
From what I have seen these plastic spring pliers are doozies for clipping the center stem on small feather tips...... be interesting to see when they get here.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Howdy All;

Dub-ya was kind enough to send me a 'starter kit' of some tools (again, many thanks for the toys),
One was a big Brass plier I've found comes in handy for keeping tension on broken thread
while I get the bobbin re-threaded and re-secure the thread. It happens alot :roll: .
There was a large spring steel teardrop shaped one that I liked till the revit popped,
got a replacement. I also have a 2 like the ones Dubbin showed, my dexterity sometimes
renders them useless as they 'roll' in my hands and won't allow me to open them.
Dub-ya also sent me 1 elecrtonic clip. I gave up the ghost shortly after it arrived
so, I went to the local Radio Shack and bought;

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062221

These I do like alot. Used them to wrap the hackles for thos flys that Ray
posted for me with the yarn...here;

http://flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=40

As Mr. F. Gump would say;
"That's all I'v got to say about that."

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 pm

In 40 odd yrs of tying I have collected around 30 hackles pliers, but I have to say the best I have are rotary ones...
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Very interesting read! I am enjoying everyone's posts.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean