Mike Conner: Regarding Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Stephen

Mike Conner: Regarding Dubbing

Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:20 am

Mike,

In follow up to many a thread, thought I would just begin this one as a new post.

Presuming the Hare is already dyed (or not) and ready for use, if I read correctly, there are a number of ways to obtain and pick the type of dubbing. One would be a dubbing rake or comb that would just take the under fur, no guard hair. One could use fingertips and just snatch a small portion off of the skin and then either remove the guard hair or leave it in. Scissors would work but once again, you would get a mix of guard hair and under fur. The shear method would allow a "shallow pass" reducing the length of the guard hair and a second pass would remove the under fur and a lesser length of guard hair remaining with the under fur.

Would there be any reason the guard hair removed on the first pass with the shears couldn't be saved and then added if a more spikey dubbing was wanted?

Secondly, from what I am taking from this, is, there really is no right or wrong but rather a tyer"s preference for what he is trying to achieve with the dubbing.

Is this somewhat correct from your perspective?
Stephen

Re: Mike Conner: Regarding Dubbing

Post by Stephen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks Mike,

I know you had posted this before and it was just what I was looking for but alas, I couldn't find it. Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops: