Loop Touch Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Loop Touch Dubbing

Post by chase creek » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 am

I used a dubbing loop for the body on this. The loop was formed, then both legs of the loop waxed, then different dubbing touch dubbed to each leg. These colors were fairly close together, but really contrasting colors or textures will give interesting effects.
Don't remember where I saw this, but it was quite some time ago.
Hook - WR-011 Dry Size 12
Thread - Griffith 14/0 Black
Body - Hare's Ear Plus Tan and Hare's Ear Plus Olive Brown
Hackle - Badger Dyed Hen Neck
IMG_4984.JPG
IMG_4984.JPG (126.53 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
tie2fish

Re: Loop Touch Dubbing

Post by tie2fish » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 am

An interesting new (for me) technique, Rodger. I shall give that a try. Thank you.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am

I like the look and the idea. I'll have to give that a try.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Rodger, this works for me too. I especially like the idea of using dubbings of different textures, not only different colors. For the past ten years I've been making my loops as you describe forming the loop from the bend and waxing both sides to put a touch of dubbing on each...or how ever it works out, but I've been using the block and spun loops for the past few months and like the option of adding any and all the dubbing colors and types you like before spinning the loop. I've got some practice to do for sure with these, but it's a fun technique.

You've described a really nice technique and I'll have to try to the next chance I get. Great looking fly to be sure. Really nicely done.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 am

I like your fly a lot, but I like the dubbing technique even more. A great :idea:
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks, Donald. I can't really claim the idea. I know I saw it somewhere "long ago and far away".
That's the beauty of getting older - the first thing to go is the memory, and then the memory. :D
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 pm

chase creek wrote:I used a dubbing loop for the body on this. The loop was formed, then both legs of the loop waxed, then different dubbing touch dubbed to each leg.
cc,

The effect achieved is certainly nice, but (just suggesting) would it not have been less 'fiddly' to first wax the thread, touch dub in two stages and then form the loop?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Hans W
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Nice fly and technique!

I usually start with a color mixed to match a bug blended out of many shades of dubbing up to as many as 5 different colors and out of different materials.

For example my dyed rabbit and antron blend dubbing...

my dyed beaver blend dubbing...

Then it is simple to touch dub the multicolored fly. It gives you the chance to have more colors in the mix rather than just 2 sides of the loop. Think of dubbing as an artist blending a color palette to get the desired color.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Rodger - This technique is just begging to be explored! I imagine it could be used to also form some nice transitions/color gradiations (i.e. - partially overlapping dubbing on the alternate sections of the dubbing loop, hopefully resulting in a blending of colors in the overlap region). Highly inspirational, my friend!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:
chase creek wrote:I used a dubbing loop for the body on this. The loop was formed, then both legs of the loop waxed, then different dubbing touch dubbed to each leg.
cc,

The effect achieved is certainly nice, but (just suggesting) would it not have been less 'fiddly' to first wax the thread, touch dub in two stages and then form the loop?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans, I've dubbed these loops in every way that my talents will allow, didn't take long. :D Are you suggesting dubbing a length of tying thread hanging from the bend and lightly dubbing the appropriate length, then lightly adding another layer of dubbing over the already dubbed length? Or suggesting waxing a length of thread hanging from the bend and lightly dubbing an appropriate length, then below that dubbing another equally long section with a different dubbing and folding the dubbed thread at the point between two different dubbings, bringing the two together before spinning the loop? (this question is longer than it needed to be. sorry)

I have a response, but wanted to clarify your original suggestion first. Much thanks.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com