Loop Touch Dubbing

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Re: Loop Touch Dubbing

Post by chase creek » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Here's what I'm talking about. I use a Marc Petitjean dubbing twister (Best tool I ever bought, besides the vise). It keeps the sides of the loop apart as much or as little as you want. Pulling away from the hook tightens the loop. Here I used Rusty Squirrel on one side, and Possum on the other. Little too much possum, I think, but you get the idea.
IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG (149.18 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG (128.96 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Loop Touch Dubbing

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 am

William Anderson wrote:
Hans Weilenmann wrote:
chase creek wrote:I used a dubbing loop for the body on this. The loop was formed, then both legs of the loop waxed, then different dubbing touch dubbed to each leg.
cc,

The effect achieved is certainly nice, but (just suggesting) would it not have been less 'fiddly' to first wax the thread, touch dub in two stages and then form the loop?

What do you think?

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans, I've dubbed these loops in every way that my talents will allow, didn't take long. :D Are you suggesting dubbing a length of tying thread hanging from the bend and lightly dubbing the appropriate length, then lightly adding another layer of dubbing over the already dubbed length? Or suggesting waxing a length of thread hanging from the bend and lightly dubbing an appropriate length, then below that dubbing another equally long section with a different dubbing and folding the dubbed thread at the point between two different dubbings, bringing the two together before spinning the loop? (this question is longer than it needed to be. sorry)

I have a response, but wanted to clarify your original suggestion first. Much thanks.

w
The latter, William.

As an alternative approach to applying dubbing to the two legs of the already formed loop.

One of the ways I spell flytying is c-h-o-i-c-e-s. Without a choice available, no choice can be made 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W