Home harvest materials (warning deceased animal photo's).

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

Home harvest materials (warning deceased animal photo's).

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Last night, from maybe 10-12pm, my two German Wirehaired Pointers were causing a bit of a nuisance of themselves. Periodic barking. It is unusual for pointers to bark, but both the bitch and dog were barking say every 10 minutes for 30 seconds and being quite assertive with it.
So a few trips out to the field behind their pen with headlamp on to see if the pet sheep or new lamb were teasing them through the wire (as they do- just for fun) or if a foreign cat was doing the rounds. Nothing to be seen, but each time I came back into the house 10 minutes later they would start up again. Now, on a still night the barking of two large dogs can be annoying for neighbours, so what ever was worrying them had to be found and a cure put in place.
With both dogs locked away I took up station where they had been standing looking into the field, stood quietly for a few minutes in the dark and quietly switched on the head lamp. Sure enough a red eye reflection bounced back to me from the middle of a large plum tree behind the dog's pen.
Back inside, unlock the cabinet and gather up the Brno .22lr Model 1, back out to the tree and one sub-sonic 37 grain pill later...... tying material you do not have to travel to gather!

This is a "dark brown" colouring of the Australian brush tailed possum. More common is the silver/grey colouration.
The underside of both is usually a cream/amber/tan kind of colouring.

Formidable claws help with climbing and holding in trees, but can rip through skin very easily if needs must.

Face shot.

A couple of shots showing length and density of fur. First is the tail.

Middle of back.

A bit morbid I know, but I thought some of you might be interested to see what the wee beastie looks like complete and not just a bit of fluff in a plastic bag or a pelt patch.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Home harvest materials (warning deceased animal photo's).

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Jeff! I am shocked!

Eh... when can I have some? 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Well, you won't have to worry about dubbing for awhile, that's for sure!
That's gonna make some nice buggy flies, can't wait.
Boris

Post by Boris » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:17 pm

They are nice critters and their fur is very useful. Your garment makers also use it for blending with fine marino to make ultra soft & warm woolen garments.

Great work Jeff, nothing like harvesting from the wild, even if it was in the backyard. :D It's good for us city slickers to get our hands dirty vicariouisly.
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Boris wrote:They are nice critters and their fur is very useful. Your garment makers also use it for blending with fine marino to make ultra soft & warm woolen garments.

Great work Jeff, nothing like harvesting from the wild, even if it was in the backyard. :D It's good for us city slickers to get our hands dirty vicariouisly.
I thoroughly agree with this comment.
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Very cool--talk about a lifetime's supply of Ausable Wullf dubbing! :)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:56 pm

That's some of my favorite dubbing material. After I was sent some in a baggie I bought a whole hide from Australia.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Hans, shocked...... really? :o Plenty available here if you would like some.

Smuggler, that will become just one of many dubbing supply pelts hanging around here. Also useful for small hair wings, tail material and roll wing emerger patterns.

Boris, indeed, second only to polar bear in it's thermal properties and added to fine micron merino wool makes some fine fashion garments..... as well as wonderfully warm socks. I recommend them for inside waders in cold waters.

CreationBear, that is a pattern I do not tie many of, but it is suitable to use for most anything you might use seal fur for. Good for dries as it is hydrophobic and you have to force water into it to make it sink without artificial added weight.

narcodog, from Australia? I am surprised you managed to get one from there, they are protected in their native country..... unless they are unlucky enough to reside in Tasmania. Tanned pelts retail from around $60-$120 here in the tourist trap areas. Mine might not be as well prepared..... but are a lot cheaper.
gig

Post by gig » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Well done Sir. Nothing like harvesting your own animal and using it. Oh, you have good taste with the weapon of choice to. I loved my Brno 22 :)
Life is good, why waste it.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks Gig, not only do I get to use the fur, but the dogs get fed for one night off the remains. :lol: Half the carcass each.

The Brno is from a long time ago, a Model 1 from 1954. I bought it as new, but was the second owner when I was 16. it has earned more than I paid for it several times over by harvesting possums back when there was a fur trade and is the one firearm I will not part with in this mortal life. Makes the new CZ's look like they were made in a barn when you compare the two....... in my opinion. :D