starling skin finally

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

lykos33

Re: starling skin finally

Post by lykos33 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Different Hook, no tail, muskrat dubbed into mason's twine (brush), ribbed with a tail of the mason's twine, Starling wing (collar actually), and Veevus 16/0 thread touched with Orange Sharpie for another "hot spot". I'm not so sure the starling and I are going to be best buds...but I'm lovin' the muskrat and the Veevus 16/0... :lol:
Murray
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Did I forget to mention that starling can be a pain in the asterisk? chuckle...

Murray - You and the starling are getting along just fine. Tasty looking flies.

I have read good things about the Veevus thread, but never tried it myself. Lately I have been on a Bennechi thread kick. The stuff lays down very smooth. How easy is they've us to work with? Have you tried splitting the thread yet, or is it a fused thread?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Bob - Could you post a picture of the fly and the picnic dyed skin? I've never seen one.

lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Well it splits...but I have to actually put on my readers to see it well enough to do the splitting. I swear there are only 2 fibers in this 16/0... :lol: It unwinds like all the others and is pretty strong for a 16/0, lays fairly flat too....Ray remember a few years ago me asking you what I was doing wrong cuz my 6/0 and even 3/0 was breaking constantly? Here I am using a 16/0...gotta be a miracle... :lol:
Murray
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Murray - I have gone thru the same progression of sizes of tying thread. Once I got past the 8/0 size, the smaller size threads seemed easier to work with. I think it was just getting a better feel for the breaking point of the thread. I still like the 6/0 and 3/0 sizes for streamers, where I want to intentionally create larger fly heads.

I've watched your progression over the past few years, on this site and over on the FlyTyingForum. It's not a miracle, it's the time you've spent at the vice honing your tying skills. That is one of the things I like about photographing and sharing flies...being able to see the progression of tying skills. I look back at my old stuff, and see how much I've learned, while breaking all that thread. :lol: :D ;)

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 am

Murray, good on you! Fine looking flies. The mole might be a little heavy handed in one..... but who say's? It might just be exactly what your local fish are looking for.
You don't know if you and the Starling will become best of friends? I like it more than Snipe which (I feel) breaks just for the heck of it! :lol: You will get the hang of it the more you use it- I am liking the results thus far.

The lighter thread is good isn't it? A lot easier to get finer bodies and heads, less bulk and finer results. If I could find more of the thread I use most of (bought on sale and unbranded) I would grab all I could with both hands before supplies run low.
The only problem I have with it is heading back to some of the bulkier threads and not having enough room to finish off without some bohemith big head being formed! :D

Keep going and keep us informed with the results..... your doing well.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Bob (narcodog) sent me some photos of the picric dyed starling skin he bought from Lawrence. Check this out!

Shown next to a natural (undyed) starling for comparison:

Pretty cool, huh?

Thanks for sharing, Bob. ;)

The back feathers almost look like jungle cock nails. Neat!