hackle pliers

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fflutterffly

hackle pliers

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:06 am

Sorry I accidentally attached this post to 'six steps'.

I am trying to tie down to 22, the smallest I can see, but I'm having trouble with the starling feathers and the hackle pliers. I am trying to use the ultra light pliers that look like a tear drop, but the tines don't seem to face up. Since they are inexpensive I have tried to "bend" the tips together. That hasn't worked. Can anyone please suggest a pliers that are machined to perfection that can hold a tiny feather.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Hans Weilenmann

Re: hackle pliers

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am

fflutterffly wrote:Sorry I accidentally attached this post to 'six steps'.

I am trying to tie down to 22, the smallest I can see, but I'm having trouble with the starling feathers and the hackle pliers. I am trying to use the ultra light pliers that look like a tear drop, but the tines don't seem to face up. Since they are inexpensive I have tried to "bend" the tips together. That hasn't worked. Can anyone please suggest a pliers that are machined to perfection that can hold a tiny feather.
My preferred pliers for small/fragile feathers (and less small, less fragile feathers) are EZ Pliers (aka electrical clips, or test clips). These EZ Pliers can grip hackle tips very securely and keep most of the already small feather available. Please note: I tie in my feather at the eye, by the feather butt, and wrap the turns away from the eye towards my waiting thread. Aside from a number of other advantages, this allows me uninterrupted rotation of the pliers to wrap the hackle, with even tension and reduces the risk of snapping the feather stem.

You can see the process (and EZ Pliers) in action here - starling feather the hackle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73ZBd5D1zM

When the feather is tied in at the tip (as many practice and prefer), and wrapped towards the eye and waiting thread, there will have to be handover moments - with inevitable changes in tension.

A third method is, of course, when one ties rotary style - holding the feather stationary and rotating the jaws/hook.

Cheers,
Hans W
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 am

fflutterfly

See this discussion http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3610

My favorite for delicate hackles are the Thompson style with rubber pads on the jaws sold as Duplex or Non-Skid pliers. In the photo I posted they are the black circular pliers on the top right.

IMO, no matter what pliers you use I think it is also a matter of practice to be able to wrap these fragile feathers without breaking. When yo have it down the other hackles are so easy to tie. ;)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Ariel, I have had the exact same woes. I bought some of the electrical clip pliers a while back and they seem to be no better for me than a pair of small English style with heat shrink rubber applied to the jaws, I always seem to head back to these.
One thing I have noticed is a "fresh" Starling skin seems to give up less feather breakage, learn to "cup and cradle" the pliers and support their weight with your off hand while you wrap as the weight of the pliers will stress the stem. Keep plier tip angular movement to a minimum as you wrap. Before swapping your tying hand from pliers to bobbin holder when you have finished wrapping, trap the wraps lightly with the index finger of your off hand.

When you find the perfect pliers...... please let me know! :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
fflutterffly

Post by fflutterffly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Road: Now I remember this discussion. I'll go back and check it out. OK dumb-dumb me. I just checked my pliers (all of them) and I find no rubber tips on any. Pulling out my EZ and giving that a try. I will never ever be without these little 22 black gnats again on the river.
"Every day a Victory, Every year a Triumph" Dan Levin (My Father)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:28 pm

My second way of spelling "flytying" is C-H-O-I-C-E-S.

One needs to have a choice in order to make a choice. In this case the choice of hackle pliers. One size does not fit all.

After working my way through pretty much every offering of hackle pliers on the market - and I have settled on two kinds.

EZ Pliers and J. Dorin Teardrop pliers.

Both have served me well for the past four decades, and have kept their top spots fending off all contenders.

YMMV 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

fflutterffly wrote: Pulling out my EZ and giving that a try. I will never ever be without these little 22 black gnats again on the river.
Ariel,

There are several ways to use the EZ Pliers - some more successful than others. I would suggest you look at the url I posted earlier in the thread and note that 1. the EZ Pliers are kept parallel to the shank, not perpendicular, and 2. I roll the EZ Pliers stem between thumb and finger while wrapping the feather, so the same side faces the hook at all times (just like the same side of the moon faces the earth though its entire revolution).

Best of success.

Cheers,
Hans W
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Hans Weilenmann wrote:
Ariel,

There are several ways to use the EZ Pliers - some more successful than others. I would suggest you look at the url I posted earlier in the thread and note that 1. the EZ Pliers are kept parallel to the shank, not perpendicular, and 2. I roll the EZ Pliers stem between thumb and finger while wrapping the feather, so the same side faces the hook at all times (just like the same side of the moon faces the earth though its entire revolution).

Best of success.

Cheers,
Hans W
Have to admit, after looking at this link and actually paying attention to the plier use more than the fly dressing (watching it in mute helped ;) ) this wee tying instruction is one of the best pieces of advice I have piced up in a wee while and will negate a lot of the problems I have been having with the EZ Plier form of hackle wrapping.
Thank you Hans! :D
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Hans, What Jeff said. Thanks.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Now that is really refining the art: thanks! :)