A Platter of Gartside soft hackle variations.

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Mataura mayfly

A Platter of Gartside soft hackle variations.

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 am

"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
narcodog

Re: A Platter of Gartside soft hackle variations.

Post by narcodog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 am

Jeff, are there stingers buried in there? I think those are the first Gartsides I have seen that were tied like that. Nice
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am

I love a number of his flies including the Gurgler and Sparrow. Great looking versions of Jack's flies but I can't ever see me fishing saltwater like he did at times! :o :D
Dwclapp

Post by Dwclapp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Not just for saltwater. Pretty effective when tied in red and black or chartreuse and white for smallmouth and largemouth bass. Especially effective for small water river smallmouth in chartreuse and white when the water is cold and the crawfish are tucked away for the winter.

Of all of Gartsides patterns, I like the sparrow best. Tied oversized on a sz 2 or 4 hook it is a killer for summer smallmouth.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:54 pm

No stingers involved, probably should be- as a lot of lure/streamers (in my experience) get tail hit. These are on short shank #4. First ones you have seen tied like that narco? You mean with the soft hackle in front, or gaudy colours? The top one is natural peacock marabou, light grey near white in rear and darker grey in front. I should add better individual photographs.

I imagine they would do well in salt water, especially the gaudy coloured ones as I cannot see local brown trout looking twice at those, I just had some nice blood marabou stems dyed hideous colours from a craft supplier that were begging to be used. :D

I think perhaps more suited to warm water fishes and maybe steelhead? Mmmmm, Sparrow eh........ that might have to be next. ;)
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Yup, gaudy, I was trying to be nice. :lol:
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

narcodog wrote:Yup, gaudy, I was trying to be nice. :lol:
No need to pull punches..... I know they are gaudy, but the only marabou I had to hand. :lol: The purple might work for steelhead..... if you are brave and nobody else is around to see you tie it on!
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Jeff, these are to rate and if I never get to toss Gartside steamers to steelies...these would be right at home on our smallmouth rivers. These are cool to see.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Jeff - I love these flies! I have a bunch of very similar flies in one of my fly boxes. They work very well on steelhead and bass. I tye a pattern called a "Spectrum Leech", which is deadly.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern6292.html (link includes some fishy pictures if your interested)

Tip - if you soak the flies and let them slowly air dry over night, they will develop a more slender baitfish profile.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tjd

Post by tjd » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Those are great looking flies!
Jack was probably one of the most creative tyers to ever sit behind a vise. Most of my "go to" patterns are his patterns or inspired by his flies.
I had the pleasure of getting to know Jack when I was stationed in Boston in the early 1990's. I was fortunate to tie and fish with him a bit, and it really my abilities as a tyer and fly fisherman.
It is hard to believe that he's been gone almost three years. I miss him.
If limited to only one fly, I would happily choose to fish the Gartside Sparrow.
Great post, thanks!

Best,

Tim