Homemade Clark spinning block

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

jaydawg

Homemade Clark spinning block

Post by jaydawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:34 pm

After some good conversations with Lance and William about the Clark block I figured I should make one up. Up to this point I've been using a pin stuck in my desk with a couple notches at the edge of the desk. It worked reasonable well but the block is much nicer and easier to handle. For the final spinning of the brush I've been clipping the hackle pliers on the loose end and spinning while the brush hangs of the front edge of the block.

Nothing much but here it is-
Mataura mayfly

Re: Homemade Clark spinning block

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

That is a fine looking block, much nicer than my own....... and I have a plaque on the wall that says I know how to work with wood! :oops:

Nice clean well finished lines, nice sighter block and side scale. You did well my friend.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
jaydawg

Post by jaydawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks MM. :)

I'm in the wood world as well. Day job is with a large cabinet shop and by degree/training I'm a guitar maker. The mahogany for the block is a cutoff from a guitar neck.

The idea for the side and white sticker background was stolen from the beautiful block William is now offering.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Dude, cabinet maker and luthier..... why has your block a white sticker and not an ivory piano key inlay? :P
Come to think of it..... that would be quite cool, ebony block and ivory sight pad..........
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Jason, this is a wonderfully executed block, and I'm glad you have one to work with. I'd love the have the skills of a guitar maker. That must be something to see.
I'm sure the mahogany is beautiful as well. I have a couple made of mahogany and a growing number of blocks made of walnut with a danish oil finish and they begin to move from their utilitarian simplicity to little objects of joy, as you know from your woodworking experience. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your flies and maybe a bit more of your woodworking skills. (Guitar pics?) (no pun intended).

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:Dude, cabinet maker and luthier..... why has your block a white sticker and not an ivory piano key inlay? :P
Come to think of it..... that would be quite cool, ebony block and ivory sight pad..........
I think for Jason it would be inlayed frets as the metric along a mother of pearl strip in a rosewood block. Now THAT I would like to see. :D :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
jaydawg

Post by jaydawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks guys.

It's funny. My first notion was to make it more elaborate jig using spring loaded tension devises and inlayed contrast blocks under the dubbing area. But after a great conversation with Lance about these blocks I decided to go with this design. Maybe in future I'll make a more ornate/elaborate version.

It's just a little of topic but here are a couple guitar pics.

Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

WOW!!
With that kind of talent and attention to detail I bet fly tying comes easy to you. :D

Exceptional pieces, glad you shared them with us.
lykos33

Post by lykos33 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Mataura mayfly wrote:WOW!!
With that kind of talent and attention to detail I bet fly tying comes easy to you. :D
Exactly what I was thinking, I bet he could really wow us, even more than he has, if he took a notion to....
Murray
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Jason,
Your block is just right.
And your guitars are mind-blowing. Do you also play in a band?
The other members reading this string should know that in this world-wide Flymph Forum membership, Jaydawg is the only one smart enough to choose to live in this part of New England near the NH seacoast. Because of that, he and I were able to meet for coffee last week, at which time I was able to show him one of Clark Blocks that William is selling on his website. (Shameless commercial plug). :D

When I arrived at the coffee shop I didn't know which customer was Jason—until he gave me a big grin and held up a copy of ATWF & FF as a signal. He knew what I looked like from a photo here on the Forum. We talked for a good two hours.
Thanks for the great post Jason.

Lance