Wax Question

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

chase creek

Wax Question

Post by chase creek » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Just wondering what everyone else does in regards to "handling" your tying wax. I keep mine in pea-sized balls, with one nested on the web of skin between my right thumb and first finger. (I'm right handed). It stays put, doesn't get in the way when I'm not using it, and stays warm and pliable. I have in the past stuck it to the knuckle of my first finger, but was always chasing after it as it rolled across the floor. :roll:
Met a tier once who told me he kept a small piece stuck behind his ear lobe. OOOOKKKK. :?
Just curious.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Mataura mayfly

Re: Wax Question

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Better than fishing it from his ear? :lol:
I have seen Davie McPhail use the method you speak of in his videos and it looks a very good method, plus you could hold your thumb over it for a tad to warm it if needed I imagine.

I use mine out of old tubes I repack or in block form on the bench. The leather dressing paste stays in its original jar. If I sat down to an extended tying session I might give the blob of wax on the finger a try.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:04 pm

I try to keep a pea sized ball of wax on my index finger, white wax on the right, cobbler's on the left. Once the wax gets nice and warm, keeping it in place doesn't seem to be an issue.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Rodger, if I had a good answer I'd be happy to share. I actually put the wax down each time. I always tie with my scissors in my hand. Like I mentioned in Ray's other post, when I'm using dropped loops or touch dubbing, I use Shuck wax, and before that a tacky soft wax in a tube. The Shuck wax is wrapped in tin foil and I have wrapped that in tape so it only has a small area of the cake exposed. As for the small pill of wax used to pull silk sections through for the dubbing blocks, I feel like I haven't resolved this yet, so I'm reading your post with great interest.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:58 am

Keeping wax warm in your hand is easy in the summer. In the winter as it is now, it is harder for me to do. I had a piece of wax that was in my hand for hours. Then I went to pick up my computer, and the wax ball fell off, and I didn't find it. So I had to start all over. In the winter I keep the wax in the palm of my left hand. I tie right handed. In the summer, I keep the wax on my fore finger of the left hand, and it stays warm that way, and pliable. How do you break off a chunk of wax? It is too hard to do so with your fingers. I used scissors yesterday. If you do that though, it leaves splinters too small to use. I throw that away, and keep the ball, or two that broke off.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Kelly, the wax is pretty workable when warm so I wrap mine in a bit of Saran Wrap or something similar and put it in a cup of warm water. When the wax has softened enough I take off small pieces about the size of a bb. The wax I'm not using stays in a water bath. I have noticed that if I don't change the water once in a while the wax gets really slimey.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:26 pm

One way getting the wax into shape to produce pea size balls is to first get it warmed up and soft. Then roll it between the hands like a ball of clay until the piece of wax is in the shape of a long, thin cylinder. At this point it's easy to snip the wax into pea size pieces. If you put them into a small container and cover with water the pieces are easy to retrieve with a bodkin. More on wax:
http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10284.htm Bill
redsedge

Post by redsedge » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:54 pm

In hoping to be more a participant on this board, as opposed to being the serious lurker I have been over the past years, I would like to offer a view of mine regarding the use of tying wax. I have recently purchased one of William's tying blocks and have been experimenting with various waxes for spinning dubbing on silk. I have been most pleased with the results when using the "Leisenring-Keene" wax offered at jimsflyco. This wax arrives in a small package with several 1/2" diameter, or so, balls which require an initial warming (light bulb, hair dryer, placed in a pocket for a while.) I then use a razor blade to cut the wax into small pieces which when rolled into a ball are about 3/16" in diameter. So far, this size seems to be ideal. I find that the silk gets trapped and then breaks when I draw it through larger pieces of wax. Staying on topic with this thread, I find that in handling the wax in these small-sized balls it makes no difference whether I keep the wax in my hand or on the table as to its effectiveness in applying wax to a length of silk.
Best wishes and happy holidays to all,
Jim
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks Jim and Bill, for each of your valuable additions. I get a lot or good information out of these sorts of "conversations".
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Howdy All;

I find that I tend to keep a small chunk/glob/dab, whatever
of the wax in the crook of my off-hand index finger, or the
crook of the next (I think you're #1), finger when tying. As
I'm only using, generally, the thumb and index the wax has
a nice warm cozy place to hide till called forth for duty... :roll:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin