First "proper" Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: First "proper" Soft Hackle

Post by William Anderson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 am

Darin, as Hans noted, you've been given very good responses to help as you move forward. My only comment would be congradulations. You'll discover the nuances as you continue to tie, as in your first 50, first 100 spiders. And you're going to want a few in a few colors in a number of different sizes, so that's not an unreasonable expectation. It's just the practice of these things that will help you discover your own preferences. And then you get to define "proper" for yourself. Fishing them will also create a likely addiction to these things.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I would have to honestly disagree with all 4 of your suspected problems. As all of them are a matter of preference and what effect you are after in your hatch matching endeavors.

Well accomplished spider.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Dwclapp

Post by Dwclapp » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the comments, criticisms, and advice. I am digesting all that has been said and will be trying the various techniques suggested. I'll post as my skills progress.

Darin
Dwclapp

Post by Dwclapp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:03 am

letumgo wrote: If I were to offer one bit of advice, it would be to tye the hackle in by the stem, as close to the eye of the hook as you can. With practice, you should be able to secure the hackle stem within two wraps of the hook eye. When the body and thorax are finished, wrap the hackle back towards the thorax and then wrap the thread forward thru the hackle. A simple three turn whip finish should be all that is needed to complete the fly.

Thank you so much for suggesting I try this method. I tried it for the first time last evening. It definitely allowed me to create a smaller/neater head than going the other way.

Thanks,
Darin
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Darin,

May I suggest you take a look at one of the video I added to my youtube channel some time back. It may give you some ideas to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFNP-lUYTc

Do me a favor and set it to HD playback first ;-)

Cheers,
Hans W
Dwclapp

Post by Dwclapp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:09 pm

Hans,

I viewed your above mentioned video (In HD :) ) and have a question... After wrapping the tying thread thru the hackle to behind the eye do you take an additional turn or do you go directly into the whip finish? Would an extra turn add any strength to the whip finish by having the whip end resting on waxed silk rather than the bare metal of the hook or would it just add unnecessary bulk?

Thanks!!
Darin
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Darin,

The head is typically only the three turn whip finish, over bare metal.

More examples on the channel - if you are interested.

Cheers,
Hans W
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 am

An excellent post.
Hans and Davie are two of the best Instructor/Dressers on Internet. You can't go wrong with them. ;) :)
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/