Who do you think

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

wsbailey

Re: Who do you think

Post by wsbailey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Lance,
Do you know about this book? Here's the link: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... a&para_l=0

The Complete Fly Tier. {With a Lengthy Inscription by V. S. 'Pete' Hidy who Wrote the Introduction

Description:

Rockville Centre, New York. Freshet Press. 1971. First Edition thus. 8vo. (7 x 5). 169 pp. With a lengthy inscription signed by V. S. 'Pete' Hidy on the front free end paper. Introduction by V. S. Hidy. Photo frontispiece of Reuben Cross. Black and white plates. Text illustrations. Although first published in 1936, this work retains valuable information on tying techniques, particularly on winged fly patterns. Inscribed Pete Hidy books are quite scarce. Bound in cream cloth with gilt titles and decorations. Pictorial dust jacket. A nice book. Fine in a fine dust jacket.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:14 pm

wsbailey wrote:Hi Lance,
Do you know about this book? Here's the link: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... a&para_l=0
The Complete Fly Tier. {With a Lengthy Inscription by V. S. 'Pete' Hidy who Wrote the Introduction
Mr Bailey (Is it Bill?)
Thank you for posting this link. I have the introduction that my father wrote for the Freshet Press edition, and plan to print it in its entirety in the upcoming book. Sure would be nice to see that inscription. I may ask the bookseller if he would tell me what Pete wrote.

Rube was extremely important to my father. Without Rube's help, THE ART OF TYING THE WET FLY would probably never have been published. He not only introduced Pete to his publisher, Dodd, Mead, but showed Pete how to prepare the manuscript and commission the photography. Rube and Pete spent some time together on and off during 1940 when ATWF was being prepared, and also visited Leisenring. The dust jacket for ATWF had advertisements for both of Rube's books.

It gave my father great pleasure to write that tribute to Rube in the Freshet Press edition, although Rube was no longer alive then. Rube gets a lot of bad press, but where Pete Hidy and Jim Leisenring were involved, he was a kind and generous gentleman.

Sorry for wandering so far off topic!

Lance
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Lance! I'm always happy to learn more. I found a page showing pictures of some of Cross's flies http://www.classictrout.com/phpBB2/view ... f=20&t=191 If you notice, the flies are very sparsely tied, a quality stressed in ATWF. I don't know where I saw the information but I read that Cross had his stuff confiscated by fish and wildlife authorities. I think at the time wood duck were nearly extinct and illegal to posses and that is the reason. That may the source of some of the criticism but I also read that he was very secretive about his tying methods and that his books didn't give the full or true story. Bill it is!
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 am

Interesting thread.
I 'm pretty sure that Rube Cross, and Im guessing on Bergman are both making dubbing noodles. The Dettes made/make dubbing noodles as well, not sure about the Darbees as well, but I would assumes so. The Dettes spin a 1 to 1 1/2 inch noodle on the index finger and thumb , tie the tip of the noodle on the hook then twist the thread and noodle together to secure the noodle on the thread.

For those that don't know what a dubbing noodle is, it is best explained this way.: take some dubbing and place it across your palm, place your other palm ontop of the dubbing and roll the dubbing between your palms a couple of times.. The end result would be a dubbing noodle.

As Greenwell has stated and I agree with Halford was making hair hackle for his very effective Hares Ear dry, which he later stopped fishing. Hi intention, application was not for a body.

As for when Leisenring/Hidy met we can at least think to put it in the mid thirties as Cross' introduction to AoTWF states "several years ago......" also to the tying technique "....not much more attention to the nymph, as both were complete strangers to me at the time"

As for Skues, I'm pretty sure he applied it on the tying thread(don't have my skues books handy). Clearly as memory serves me he did not write about preparing the body off the fly, which I would think he would have.

Cross was allegedly seen plucking flank feathers off of live Mallards and other ducks that were on display in an exposition pond at the New York sporting show, perhaps this is where his feather trouble started.
Jim