Pearsall's Gossamer Going Away

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Re: Pearsall's Gossamer Going Away

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

I must say I have Bill's wax in both colors. I love it. I have not tried that pattern though. I do use the lighter color much more often though. Mainly because I usually use lighter colors.
daringduffer wrote:
Mataura mayfly wrote:
Just saying...... mainly because I have never had a good supply of genuine silks or cobblers wax to duplicate the Greenwell patterns and have spent most my adult life trying to find a colour close to the combination of primrose and cobblers. :lol:
Jeff,

Bill Bailey would be able to help you out. Just order some of his dark wax and you get the most beautiful greenwell colour. It is quite dry and very easy to work with.

dd
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Jeff, some of Bill's Cobbler's wax is headed to you as we speak, along with a couple of books. I was going to include some wee flies as well, but the tying room is being relocated and everything is in boxes. I start unpacking tonight.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Your a good man, Ron. Good on ya.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm

letumgo wrote:Your a good man, Ron. Good on ya.
That he is, thank you Ron, I will be sure to let you know when your kind gifts arrive.
Bill has also contacted me personally through another forum and we are arranging an exchange of possum for wax, so I should be well sorted in a wee while.
My sister asked me to value a tying kit at New Years, she was left with after her partner passed away a couple of years back. I was not aware he tied. Was a good basic beginners kit, all fitted into an aluminium camera case, just the basics, no silk- but two empty old Pearsall spools :( . But there was a full tube of Overtons Wonder Wax, so now I get to see what all the hype is about as big Sis said I was welcome to anything I could use.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

The Overton's is WONDERFUL. I got one for my birthday. :D
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Carol sent me a Superfine Shade List. . The X means the shade is currently available. There is no actual colors shown, just the name. I tried to add the attachment, but the file is too large. If you want the file, pm me, and send me your email address. I will send the files as I have time. Sorry it could not be uploaded here.
wayneb

Post by wayneb » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 am

Went to the flyfishingandflytyingforpanfish in Somerset, NJ yesterday and Great Feathers had some of the new Pearsalls. They had a fraction of the new colors and it's almost overwhelming to choose. There are very subtle shade differences in some colors, the range of greens displayed made choosing just one impossible! The new bright shades are awesome, really bright orange, red, yellow and chartreuse. A lot of traditional colors are duplicated quite well.

Overall things look good, whishing GF had the new ash, look toward to getting it.

Wayneb
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:59 am

The new Ash is Smoke. You are lucky indeed to get a glimpse of the new colors, in person~!
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:47 pm

I keep my silk in these robust Myran fly boxes. One spool in each compartment, eighteen spools in each box. With a label in the bottom of the compartment you know which one goes where and still see the colour through the lid. They happen to be both swedish and excellent quality.
Image http://www.fishusa.com/Myran-Fly-Boxes_p.html
I'm fortunate enough to have an original Pearsall's silk colour chart (every shade shown in actual silk). That's how I sleep at night, without Kelly's worries.
(I'll post this now and get back later).

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Your box is higher quality than mine. My box holds 18 also, with room for a spare one in each slot. I got a similar box for the Superfine gossamer. I don't have all the colors, but do have several to pick from. I should take a new picture of it, since I put all the thread in it now. I need to redo two labels though, I got the numbers wrong.