Lawrie's Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Donald Nicolson

Lawrie's Nymphs

Post by Donald Nicolson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 am

Whilst (how's that for an archaism :lol: ) going through my Skues Nymph information, I have been looking through W. H. Lawrie information I have on his important but under-rated book,"The Rough Stream Nymph". I made this .pdf some years ago and although he admitted his debt to Skues for his basic nymph pattern, he had his own theory about surface and sub-surface duns i.e. 'emergers'. Anyway, I made as I said I made this a wee while ago.
It has some of my own versions of Lawrie's nymphs, simplified and closer to the Skues' originals. Anyone interested give me a PD with your e-mail address.

Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
Stendalen

Re: Lawrie's Nymphs

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 am

Hi

Yes the Lawrie book is really nice, I managed to get a copy last year.

As always I am interested in your pdf:s ;)

Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
cicvara

Post by cicvara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:05 am

You have my e-mail. Thank you.

Rasevic
Donald Nicolson

Post by Donald Nicolson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:22 am

I am a great admirer of Lawrie's books, not just "The Rough Stream Nymph". His earlier book "Border River Angling" was a good precursor to the "Rough Stream Nymph".
I also have most of his other books, "The All-Fur Fly" and his excellent books on English, Welsh, Scottish and International trout flies. The "International Trout Flies" has the best recipe list of Italian Alpine (reverse hackled a la Tenkara style) flies ever, over forty patterns.
The English, Welsh and Scottish books are a great source of information on British Fly history.
They are available on AbeBooks and other on-line booksellers at very reasonable prices.
Well, that's enough of a plug for Lawrie. :lol: :lol:

Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:34 am

That is a wonderful fly, Donald.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am

Donald, I'd love to have this file too. I love the fly in the photo!
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Donald Nicolson wrote:I am a great admirer of Lawrie's books, not just "The Rough Stream Nymph". His earlier book "Border River Angling" was a good precursor to the "Rough Stream Nymph".
I also have most of his other books, "The All-Fur Fly" and his excellent books on English, Welsh, Scottish and International trout flies. The "International Trout Flies" has the best recipe list of Italian Alpine (reverse hackled a la Tenkara style) flies ever, over forty patterns.
The English, Welsh and Scottish books are a great source of information on British Fly history.
They are available on AbeBooks and other on-line booksellers at very reasonable prices.
Well, that's enough of a plug for Lawrie. :lol: :lol:

Did not know he was so productive.

M
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:21 pm

I noticed that several of the rough stream nymphs are tied with "blue cat". The BWO nymph following the one with cow hair in Skues' book is tied with blue Persian cat fur dyed in picric acid. In his recipe for the Black Drake Nymph, Polly Rosborough wrote "If your wife has a pale Maltese cat you have a constant source of supply(of dubbing). Of course, both your wife and the cat will hate you, but everyone knows we fly tyers must have grist for our mill. All cat fur makes very fine nymphs". Bill
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:14 pm

wsbailey wrote:I noticed that several of the rough stream nymphs are tied with "blue cat". The BWO nymph following the one with cow hair in Skues' book is tied with blue Persian cat fur dyed in picric acid. In his recipe for the Black Drake Nymph, Polly Rosborough wrote "If your wife has a pale Maltese cat you have a constant source of supply(of dubbing). Of course, both your wife and the cat will hate you, but everyone knows we fly tyers must have grist for our mill. All cat fur makes very fine nymphs". Bill
Any cat lovers...... block your ears (eyes).
I have actually been contracted before to hunt and exterminate feral cats that were endangering small native bird, mammal and amphibian/reptile life here. They make great dubbing, but even better zonker strips.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 pm

So, Jeff, your saying you spent time as a cat culler? My other Mate from NZ used to call me a cow cocky culler, being Lakota (Sioux) and all.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"