Butt: Tying thread

Video here - please view in HD, if able:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQH_CroTxCA

Cheers,
Hans W
Donald Nicolson

Re: video - Iron Blue Dun

Post by Donald Nicolson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:48 am

I like that a lot Hans. I think this fly 'Iron Blue' has been long overdue for modernisation of its materials and layout. A very, very good recipe and pattern. :) ;)
Donald Nicolson alias DNicolson

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Agree with Donald. Lovely pattern.

A couple of questions if I may:

Is it only the female dun that have this scarlet colour?

I would guess you use this pattern for other may flies. What would be the colour in a baetis variant Hans?

/Martin
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Stendalen wrote:Is it only the female dun that have this scarlet colour?

I would guess you use this pattern for other may flies. What would be the colour in a baetis variant Hans?
Martin,

The IBD really is a bit of an oddball pattern. I have never managed to find even a glimmer of red in any of the naturals I have seen, male and female. The traditional colors for our imitations are the grey and red I used. I consider it more an attractor than a true imitation. That said - it is a color combination which has endured, and it only endures because it works 8-)

The pattern/video demonstrates a generic design, as well as a specific IBD pattern.

As you may note the design lends itself to many color combinations - with either grey or brown partridge in front, and a variety of colors in body hackle, body dubbing and thread.

Yellow thread, brown partridge for hackle, hare's ear body,a dark ginger or cree body hackle and you will have a sterling March Brown.

In tan thread, brown partridge, cree hackle over warm brown dubbing a Baetis Rhodani, our Large Dark Olive.

Cheers,
Hans W
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Yes that is an oddball Hans. Thanks for the info.

I find fishing soft hackles in the film very likeable, as I guess all of you. It is very much like dry fly fishing but something that my dry fly purists friends never seem to understand :lol: :roll:

Thanks
again Hans
M
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Hans, this is a wonderful tie, as usual. The Iron Blue Duns most often described in the states (at least of the recipes I'm most familiar, are of a dark claret or burgandy silk and are show more mole or muskrat dubbing over the body (ala Leisenring). I understand the naming predates fly-fishing in the states, and the adaptations vary widely, but I haven't seen such a brightly composed version. And I understand your version is a more stylized tie, but I'm curious about the origins of the nearly cardinal red body. It's a beautiful fly, as I said.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:58 am

Lovely tie as usual Hans. Have you fished this pattern sucessfully during IB hatch ?
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 am

Otter wrote:Lovely tie as usual Hans. Have you fished this pattern sucessfully during IB hatch ?
Not yet this specific version, Otter, with the grey partridge in front. To date I have been using the more conventional grey hackle in front of mole and red butt - with success, yes.

This new&improved(?) version will get its proper testing as soon as the season opens again 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W