Hackle for wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Hackle for wets

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 am

Many recipes call for partridge hackle in soft hackle flies. The partridge hackle I use doesn't look like the hackle used in many of the pictures I have viewed which leads me to think that mine might be a grouse hackle. Do many of you substitute hen hackle for partridge hackle and does it really matter? Thank you.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
chase creek

Re: Hackle for wets

Post by chase creek » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

Depending on where on the skin you take the feather, you will get different markings. Look at a cock pheasant skin - It's amazing the variety of different feathers and markings there are. All skins are much the same; the type of feather and markings vary with the type of feather and the location on the skin.
I use a lot of hen as a substitute hackle. The fish don't seem to mind. I think the major trigger is the action of the hackle, not necessarily the markings (although I'm sure it does play a role)
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 am

I use Hungarian partridge feathers (Huns out west) and they have about 3 different shaded feathers on them, light partridge, dark partridge and a more brown one with a dark line running up the center.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you for the responses. I am trying to find some partridge feathers like those shown in the thread titled "attempted Partridge and Orange" by boris just a few threads below this thread. I like the banding as well as the color and it is the same feather that is used in most of the pictures I have seen of soft hackle flies. The grouse hackles I am using are lovely as well and I will continue to use them as they hooked trout for me these past few days. Thank you again for your responses, I appreciate them.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am

Tim,

Are you using bagged feathers as opposed to feathers from a whole skin? I think, and that's a dangerous thing, that most folks who dress flies with Partridge hackle end up buying a whole skin so they can pick and choose the feather they want. Buying a whole skin is also pretty economical, as you get more usable feathers and the skin lasts a looooong time.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:31 am

I would call that dark partridge aka dark Hun. I have a spare half a skin that's not pretty as mine are gathered while hunting. Are you in the USA?
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 pm

No Zen, I am in Nova Scotia, but I thank you for your kindness. The shop up here doesn't have any partridge skins that I can look at and not likely to get any in either. Most of the tyers up my way tie flies for the Atlantic Salmon and trout are just something to do until the salmon runs start in earnest.
It would be a luxury to be able to pick out the saddles etc from a wide selection and get what I want. Trout is the only specie I fish and with my light gear it is a hoot. They all go back so it doesn't really matter to me the size of the trout as long as I am enjoying myself. Typically, my flys are a size #12 to a size #18 and usually the 18's are tied on a Klinkhammer extreme hook which run a little larger than a typical #18. Smaller than that and my eyes start a mini revolt around dusk...lol. Thank you again for your kindness it is very much appreciated,

Tim
All the best,

Tim
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 pm

PM me with your address and I'll see what it takes to send up a skin, or partial skin as a gift.

Bill W
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi Ron,
Yes they are bagged because they were given to me by an old fishing buddy who received them from a friend of his. The partridge feather in that thread I don't even know what color to call it. Zen suggested it was a dark Hun which it might very well be but I haven't seen any partridge skins to compare it to which makes it difficult to know what to ask for. My dark Hun vs your dark Hun vs Zen's dark Hun might be 3 different colors because of our eyes. In any event, once I can narrow down the color I will order a skin from someone in the US and explain the sizes I tie in so they could pick out a suitable skin. Thank you for your advice.

Tim
All the best,

Tim