Yarn test

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Hans Weilenmann

Yarn test

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 am

I received a nice care package from Jeff yesterday. Among the goodies several cards with yarn, different color mixes. I tied u a quick&dirty pattern this morning to see how the yarn looks, wrapped as a body. See what you think - I am pleased well enough:

Thanks Jeff 8-)

Cheers,
Hans W
DUBBN

Re: Yarn test

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 am

The yarn looks great! I am wondering if it will hold its color when wet, or become darker. Either way, it should be a nice addition to any fly tieing inventory.
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:18 am

Should be stated- this is no one way deal and Hans materials arrived on this side of the World first. ;) He is just quicker (and neater) at throwing together a q&d pattern.

I really should take a photo of that bag of yarn, more and more of it is getting sent overseas and the bag is not getting any emptier!
A lot of it is very similar "earthly" tones with just slight variations of colour. I tried with your selection, Hans, to give a more varied colour palette rather than variations of the same shades. Some of it you have to watch as too much tension will pull the yarn apart, as some are 100% wool and being a fairly fine denier do not take much strain. Others are a mix of possum and fine merino wool that are almost a pre-made dubbing brush

Hans, if that is quick & dirty...... I'm never posting another photo on here! :lol: That is a smart looking simple yarn "spider", eloquently tied and makes that Kamasan B175 (?) look damn near sexy.
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:21 am

DUBBN wrote:The yarn looks great! I am wondering if it will hold its color when wet, or become darker. Either way, it should be a nice addition to any fly tieing inventory.
That one, Wayne, is easily answered. It darkens.

Cheers,
Hans W
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 am

Hmmmmm, kind of like my beloved Muskrat. I see no reason why the yarn Jeff sent to you will not be a top notch material.

What you call "quick and dirty"? I call "bread and butter". :)
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 am

Don't know I would use the term "top notch" Dubbn, after all it is out of an oddment bin at a woollen mill and most of it made it in there because the yarn separated one too many times under the tension of the weaving looms. ;)
A lot of it is designed to be used in high end fashion garments. There are a lot of Merino fine wool dresses and suits out there now and wool is no longer the domain of jumpers your Grandma used to knit. In order to compete with the World of synthetic clothing, the Wool mills and designers have had to develop new finer yarns for weaving rather than traditional knitting.
For us as tiers, this is good. It means I can lay my hands on some fun cheap materials which are of more use than just chopping to blend into dubbing mixes and can be wound as simple yarn bodies to suit say #8-14 hook sizes. Bulkier than gossamer silk, yes, but they do bring other dimensions to the table silk doesn't.

Anyone who has a particular shade or colour they might like to try, drop me a line and we shall see what we can do. Some of you have had "selections" before and some of you will just (hopefully) be unpacking some you may have selected from the "box" at Roscoe, but there is plenty to be shared around...... I just do not have Oyster..... or any referred to as 477! :o
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:34 am

Looks like a real fish-catcher to me! Bravo to both of you. :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Hans, Jeff's yarns can quickly become addictive. Well done fellas.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:17 pm

Love the yarn! The fly looked very nice too!
Mataura mayfly

Post by Mataura mayfly » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:27 am

William Anderson wrote:Hans, Jeff's yarns can quickly become addictive. Well done fellas.
William, you are supposed to be tying flies with the stuff, not smoking it! The addiction will ease after you resist the pungent aroma of burning wool and concentrate on wrapping it around hook shanks. :D