Spider box, I'm half way done with Box 1

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Kelly L.

Spider box, I'm half way done with Box 1

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 am

I wanted the front half to carry more common Spiders. The rows are not uniform. It would of looked better if I had used all the same size, and kind of hook. One row is Partridge & Orange. I used one half in 6A , the other half in Hot Orange. That kind of messed the overall look up, but I wanted to try both colors out. This is my stock box. I don't care for this box for fishing. I like the look of the box, but I don't like the slots in the foam like that. It is hard to get the spiders in, and out, because the rows are close together. Anyway, this is 150 flies. I felt like I accomplished something tying so many. :D When i am done, I shouldn't need to make spiders for a good while.

Left to Right. Row 1-Snipe & Purple, Row 2-Greenwell Spider, Row 3-Partridge & Orange (6A and Hot Orange), Row 4- Partridge & Yellow, Row 5-Partridge & Green, Row 6- Grouse & Amber. The flies are all in different sizes. *(Size 12-16.)

Mataura mayfly

Re: Spider box, I'm half way done with Box 1

Post by Mataura mayfly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:08 am

Kelly, WOW, my hat is off to you.
I can never get a fly box to look like that, full and uniform. I am in envy of those that can. These look fantastic to me, may not be in perfect order- but look pretty damn good in their rows- all 150 of them!
You are right, you should not need spiders for a season or two. ;)
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout".... Irish proverb.
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 am

Great-looking bunch of flies! :)
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 am

Well done, Kelly!

Cheers,
Hans W
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 am

You are a regular tying machine, Kelly. That is an impressive display.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:13 am

I agree with Bill. That is an impressive display! Well done lady!
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks guys! I can't remember how long it has taken me to tie that amount of flies, but it didn't get done in a week, that is for sure. The Purple and Snipe don't even show up. (as purple, which in person they are beauties) I also put head cement on just about every fly in there. So under the tying light, the heads glow like little gems. The camera didn't do them justice. I have not decided whether to continue on to the back half right now, or if I should do some flies for my barbless box. If all goes right, this fall I am going to get to do some actual trout fishing at a river. Yes, the Blue River. I will be targeting trout, and smallmouth bass. My friend told me that I had to have all barbless. I am making a special box just for the Blue River. I am going to do a trout box, and a bass box. (small of course) Anyway, glad you liked my box. It was an accomplishment for me. I've never done anything like this box before. I have also almost filled up my competition fly box. It has a lot of spiders in it too.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:20 am

That's a lot of tying and very nice flies. Unless I'm in a fly swap where I have a specific number to tie and tie fast, I'm slow. It would take me a month or a more to do 150 flies.

Where did you get your Snipe? I'm having a hard time finding snipe and woodcock.

Bill
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:03 am

Kelly L. Howdy;

Fantastic display of tyeing ... Well done!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the compliments. I don't know how long exactly that I started working on this box. I am one of the slowest tyers you will ever see. So, it could of been a month ago. This snipe was given to me. You can buy snipe wings in the UK/England. You can find it also on Ebay now and then. I would buy the wings, it is a lot cheaper. Oh, I forgot, you can check with Jim's, or Great Feathers, they might have Snipe too. I highly recommend both places.