Smaller hackle wet flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

Smaller hackle wet flies

Post by raven4ns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 am

Hello,
I have some Chinese necks that I have been using for wet flies but I find that 90% of the feathers are too big for the flies I tie. Most of my flies are in the 12-16 range with a few 10's and 18's mixed in because I use a 7' 3wgt and a 7'6 4wgt as my main rods.
What hackle do you guys use for the smaller flies in the sizes that I tie? While the chinese necks are cheaper initially, the fact that I can only use a small portion of them makes them more expensive in the long run, I believe. Thank you for any and all help.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
narcodog

Re: Smaller hackle wet flies

Post by narcodog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 am

You can use hen or game bird feathers. Grouse, partridge and the like. You can also tie in your big hackle with the barbs facing over the eye then pull them back over the hook shank and wrap the down.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am

Tim this comes up a lot and everyone has to work out their own solution, but I'm sure everyone will happy share what works for them. My initial response to your question is to learn to love starling. The feathers are tougher to tie with than hen, finer stems, but there us a nice range on a natural skin and now there are quality skins dyed or bleached to any color you want.

Personally, I don't prefer to use the methods required to put a large hackle on a small hook, but many do it very well and the results are successful. I also tend to use (usually) one feather for one fly from hen capes. There is a sweet spot where the webbing and tip proportions are perfect and the way I strip the hackles leaves the rest less desirable.

I look forward to hearing how others resolve this.

W
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 am

I switched to the Whiting hen necks in May after I saw the quality. Stems appear to be straight and nice hackle barbs. There's a lot of hackle on the necks from #8 to #18 or smaller. $20-$22 is a cheap price to pay for a neck I can use all of and is of consistent quality.

If I want larger hackle the hen saddles are equally good and even cheaper. Larger is #6 to #12.
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 am

Hey Bill,
Can you get feathers in the 12-16 range from hen saddles or are they usually larger? We don't have any selection of capes or saddles to speak of at the fly shops in town which means I have to order them. The problem I have is getting the size hackles I want without actually seeing the saddle before I buy it, you can see my dilemma.
For drys I love the saddles because I can get 6-10 flys from 1 feather but I'm not sure how that would work for hen saddles. Any help you can give me will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

It looks like I can get hackle down into the #20's from the necks. It's no big deal to get hackle in the #12-#16 range from Whiting necks. I haven't checked to see what the largest fly I can tie is.

Ron Eagle Elk is working at Jim's fly shop so you might give him a call. Ron is who turned me onto the Whiting hackle as I watched him tie at a WFFC event in Ellensburg in May.

I ordered my hackle from Dette's fly shop as I didn't know about the flympforum at that time.

Bill
raven4ns

Post by raven4ns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks, Bill, that is what I will have to do in order to hopefully get what I need. Thank you for your help.

Tim
All the best,

Tim
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Tim, I think what you want is the hen capes not the saddles. You can find some smaller saddles but I wouldn't order them online unless you call someone you know and tell them exactly what you are looking for. You won't find a better selection of capes than from Jim's shop. Also, if you order a Collins hen cape you get the saddles as well. Great Feathers has them for $24.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 am

Hi Tim,

http://home.kpn.nl/brui2057/PC&H.htm This is a link to the site of Sunshine. He shows how to use hackles that are to big for a certain fly.

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
crazy4oldcars

Post by crazy4oldcars » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Interesting technique. Thanks for the link, Ruard.
I'll have to try that...in a split thread, of course. 8-)
Kirk